Forum .LRN Q&A: New cd version & web page for .iso images

Hello.

I have developed a new version of the cd, this time only in spanish (as it includes courses only in spanish, I thought it was not useful a version in english). This one includes assesment package, besides everything else in the previous version.

Now you can find all version in a more convenient way in the URL

http://e-lane.org/pub/

There you can find all the available iso images, with their md5 sums, instructions, etc.

Bugs, suggestions & comments welcome.

Collapse
Posted by Jonatan Tierno on
You can find a new cd version, where you can configure the hard drive usage and the IP address (in case the machine does not have access to a DHCP server).

This functionality can be found at the script called KNOPPIX_CONF at the desktop. It has an easy, self-explained interface, so no explanation is needed.

I hope it is useful...

Bugs, comments & suggestions welcome.

An easy-to-follow tutorial for the customization of the knoppix cd (starting from one already created), has been added to the Knoppix E-LANE page (http://e-lane.org/pub).

I have also added two new cd versions, with only OpenACS & .LRN, without contents, to be customized easily following the instructions in the tutorial.

I hope this makes the cds more useful. Bugs, suggestions & comments welcome.

Jonatan Tierno (mailto:jonatan@it.uc3m.es)

Collapse
I have recieved a mail (thanks Orzenil) asking about the creation of the E-LANE cd from scratch, starting from a standard knoppix distro. I currently don´t have documentation on the complete proccess, but it basically reduces to this:

- In the tuturial (e-lane.org/pub/tutorial), go to the point 7, starting from your knoppix distro, and ignoring the non-applicable steps.
- Install postgres and aolserver, make them work in the chrooted enviroment.
- The problem now is that, when that data from postgres and aolserver is on the cd, it will not be writable,
so it will not work. To solve this, on startup (every time we boot the cd in a new machine) we´ll copy some folders
from the cd to hard-disk to, say, the folder /OpenACS. In the old path well substitute these folders with symlinks
with their names, which are pointing to the folders in the new path.
  The /OpenACS folder is mounted at root ( / ) using a loop device, so we avoid  the /mnt/hdaX path, which may vary
from computer to computer.
  Take the folders, which are /var/lib/postgres/data and <aolserver_home>/<server> somewhere else in the cd or
change their names, and substitute them for symbolic links pointing to /OpenACS/<folder_name>.
  On the creation of the cd we must only create the symlinks and move-rename the folders, and create the script which
makes the copy from cd to harddisk on startup.

In the knoppix E-LANE distro, this script is /etc/init.d/openacs, which executes automatically at startup. It performs several tasks. Basically:

1. Searches all the partitions in the machine looking for a file called knoppix_elane (which would contain the data from
previous sessions, that is, the postgres and aolserver folders we mention above).
  2. If this file is found, the script mounts it at /OpenACS using a loop device.
  3. If this file is not found, the script searches all the partitions again looking for one with enough free space.
        3.1 When it is found, creates one file of a given size, enough for the folders and some extra space to let the database
              grow (hundreds of MB), and mounts it at /OpenACS, again with a loop device
        3.1 Then it copies the folders from the cd into /OpenACS, giving them the proper permissions.
  5. Using ifconfig, the script finds out the IP address of the machine (localhost if not connected), and edits the
<openacs_server>.tcl file to set this new address in the server.
  4. Then the script starts PostgreSQL and AOLserver.

There are some details more, check the /etc/init.d/openacs file, it is just a bash script.

Anyone else interested in this, please post questions, bugs, comments. Thanks.

Hello,

After some work on reading e-lane knoppix cd tutorial and exchanging e-mail messages with Jonatan Tierno i finally had success creating an E-LANE cd similar from scratch, starting from a standard knoppix distro.

The knoppix based distro i used was Kurumin Linux 4.0. Kurumin is a Brazilian run-from-CD Linux distribution, has excellent hardware auto-detection, support for Brazilian Portuguese and small size. After installed tcl, aolserver4, postgres, dotlrn and E-lane contents the CD has about 530Mb. Kurumin uses a slight modified 2.6.8 kernel from knotix distro, install openoffice1.1.2, mozilla-firefox 1.0, the gimp2.0, gmplayer and has some resources as e-books and technical manuals about gnu/linux.

Kurumin e-lane still needs some testing on different hardware, and next week i am going to do some custom modifications installing brazilian portuguese(BR) catalogs for openacs/dotlrn, dotlrn manual from Sloan as scorm content and removing some not so necessary packages from original kurumin. The idea is work on kurumin e-lane to provide a full customized live-cd for brazilians interested in try features developed in dotlrn and project-manager as well as the openacs toolkit itself. Also we want to promote openacs and openacs projects to get users and developers envolved with openacs technologies here in Brazil.

Thank you Jonatan for your great help.

Collapse
6: NTFS support (response to 1)
Hello all.

I have added NTFS support (with a little trick) for the knoppix-elane cd. This way it can be used in machines with only NTFS partitions (Windows).

The solution is based on the capability of the 2.6 Linux Kerner to modify the contents of a file in an NTFS partition, as long as its size does not change.

The procedure is basically to create the file from windows, using a c application included in the cd, and then using this file to store data from Knoppix.

More info at e-lane.org/pub

I hope you find this useful. Bugs, comments, suggestions... welcome.

Greetings

Jonatan Tierno

Collapse
Posted by Teng Lanzhi on
I have tried it. It is terrific. It is very good to be used as a demo. Thanks.
Collapse
8: New cd version (response to 1)
Posted by Natalia Pérez on
Hello All,
a new version of the CD Knoppix E-LANE (Spanish version) is available. You can download the iso image, ready to burn, from http://e-lane.org/pub/knoppix-elane_ES_2005-05-19.iso (you can also access the md5 sums at http://e-lane.org/pub/knoppix-elane_ES_2005-05-19.md5).

This new version includes the latest release of the E-LANE Project (version beta 7) (https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=273740) and postgreSQL 7.4.7.

Once started the KNOPPIX E-LANE CD, it launches a dotLRN portal, with the administrator account: Login: e-lane and Password: e-lane, that contains two communities with the following courses and documents:

1. Methodology for courses on-line
* Course of "Tutorial of edition of contents" (in Spanish)"
* Documents
o E-LANE Course Design: A Practical Guide
o Creativity Based Learning
o Conversational Model
o Collaborative Activity Models
o Guía rápida de creación de cursos
o Metodología curso de Java
2. Courses of ICDL (in Spanish)
* Module 1. Concepts of Information Technology (IT)
* Module 2. Using the Computer and Managing Files
* Module 3. Word Processing (MS Word and OpenOffice)
* Module 7. Information and Communication

Also, you can view these courses (Tutorial of edition of contents, Module 1, Module 2 and Module 3 (OpenOffice)) on the "contenidos" directory of the CD. On Windows, the CD launches a web page explains what the CD contains.

Feel free to try this new knoppix E-LANE CD, any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Natalia Pérez.