Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN News

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Some recent .LRN News.

• MIT recently recognized .LRN as one of its key initiatives in the educational technology space. This is very important recognition for the project and I want to thank the OpenACS/.LRN community for its continuing support and leadership.

• UNFOLD announced release of IMS-LD package for .LRN: "Those of you who came to the Glasgow and Berlin UNFOLD meetings will remember presentations about progress on development of an IMS-LD Package for the widely used .LRN VLE. I'm pleased to say that the promised package has been completed, and the first version is available at http://strauss.gast.it.uc3m.es/ The package plays level A UoLs, and is integrated with SCORM, QTI and the .LRN forums." A lot of hard work went into this effort and I want to commend the team that worked on this so diligently.

• We had a very succesful .LRN Board Meeting in February. One important outcome was the desire to improve governance and coordination by copying the successful TIP process for OpenACS. You will hear more about this in the coming weeks from Carl Blesius.

• A personal note: Beginning later this month, I will be assuming the position of Associate Vice Chancellor/Deputy CIO for the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (MNSCU). MNSCU encompasses 32 Colleges and Universities and enrolls approximately 300,000 students annually. It also has one of the largest and most rapidly growing online programs in the country. It's also very cold (brrr) in Minnesota. If you are visiting the Minneapolis/St.Paul area, please look me up. You are also welcome to stay with us (within reason, not permanently).