Forum OpenACS Q&A: New version chat package

Collapse
Posted by Pablo Muñoz on
Hi all,

We are happy to announce from Telefónica I+D that we have made an update of the chat package created by Gustaf Neumann, in the AJAX version, improving it with some functionalities.

The current chat has new functionalities like:

• Administrators and teachers can create rooms within a community, class, department, or directly in the main site.
• Much information in the process of creation a new chat room, like end date of the room, maximal number of users, alias, etc.
• System informs new chat room created via email to the users.
• System creates RSS briefs of the conversations in the rooms.
• System recognizes messages with URLs.
• Users can register in a chat room.
• Users can consult chat rooms (open/close and private/public).
• Users can syndicate and consult into RSS briefs.
• Users can receive briefs of the conversations by mail.
• Users can search a room.
• Users can search a transcription.
• Users can send files.
• Users can create private rooms.
• Portlet and index including much information.
• Etc.

We are going to upload to the cvs, but not yet. We are willing to correct some bugs so, whoever wants to check it can do with this instance:

http://strauss.gast.it.uc3m.es:8020/

You can use the chat like an administrator, and also check the functionalities creating new users as students or teachers.

The code of the chat, if someone wants to download and install it, is in the next url:

http://e-lane.org/public/?folder%5fid=78480

Pablo Muñoz is the creator of this update, but Jose Pablo Escobedo and Carlos III University are going to work on the maintenance of the package and correction of bugs. Feedback is more than welcome.

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
very nice.

you use file storage for files. nice.

maybe there should be a back button to the chat when you click on transcript.

I see that for private chats you create also a room. not sure if that is scalable given classes we have with over 900 students. also I am not sure if that is legal. maybe there should be an option not to log those rooms and remove them automatically.

What do you think?