Forum OpenACS Development: Re: listbuilder: permissions on columns

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Malte,

Yes me "view" idea is very similar to saved searches in contacts.

Its a little different in that its keyed on the list, not the object attributes.

I hesitate to expose the object types, attributes, and permissions interface for this kind of thing. My vision is more abstract, and hopefully easier to use.

The idea is to let admins see all the columns, and then choose which columns are contained in a view and set permissions on the views.

I think its overkill to individually permission every column. Maybe there is an applicaiton for that as well, but it seems like a usability problem.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Dave, I think we should figure a way to come up with a solution that suits both (contacts/AMS and yours). Because if it is keyed to a list in listbuilder or keyed to an object_type or multiple object types should not matter (that much) and be it for the simple reason that we could have a simple list which displays all objects of an object type. And thats basically what contacts does.

At the moment here is my idea (very theoretical): We have a package / place where we can say: This are the columns available and please create a view out of these columns. Basicly that is what we do in AMS (after all it is not necessarily keyed to the attributes, that is just and example how we use it).

What I want to have in addition for this view: Filter by element, meaning, you can create a view which might contain prefilled in filter values but also define one element as searchable by the user using the view. This way the admin, when creating the view, can preset certain filters. And additionally he can say "These are filters the user is allowed to use". Do we have textbox filters in listbuilder?

Do you have a timeline when you want to work on that?