Forum .LRN Q&A: Bulk Upload Conditions

Collapse
Posted by Windell Dubois on
What are the required conditions for the Bulk Upload option to work efficiently??  What is the maximum file size or the maximum number of rows it can take at a time, before you get a Read Timeout error?

Thanks in advance.

Windell.

Collapse
2: Re: Bulk Upload Conditions (response to 1)
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Windell,

If the Sloan bulk upload is the same as yours, then these are the precautions I use:  1) no CSV files with more than 50 names/rows; 2) when the CSV comes from someone else i check the CSV in Notepad to make sure it is "clean" - i've had uploads bomb because of hidden extra characters/spaces; 3) I also check the names and addresses for typos and remove any puncutation marks for non-English names - if I don't, the registration emails bounce and/or i have to make edits to accounts after the fact; 4) Also, the upload checks whether an account already exists, and if it does, just stores the id, but when you add your new accounts/users to a group, those existing accounts aren't added; and 5) Since bulk jobs aren't logged for the site wide admin, i pay attention to the page that displays which accounts are created and which ids are stored, so that i can manually add those users to their group(s) after.

Hope this helps.

Deirdre Kane