Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Installing 5.2.3 Core: problems and questions.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
Thanks for the info!

I think that the ns_startcontent issue is partly an AOLserver bug. The code comments suggest that there should be a reasonable default returned if no charset is present in the -type string. OpenACS has traditionally been the lead on this functionality (it seems to me anyway), developers here seem to know more about it. Is there a need for defaults in the AOLserver API, there is real source code/config setting/naming confusion in AOLserver. There are a number of related things: filename endings, char encodings, charsets (and charset names), mime-types, content-types. The config file tries to map some of these to each other. In addition, there is now, at least in the C API, a way to map input-charsets to a url, same as a filter map.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Let me add the following problem-fields of mimetypes being a source for confusion (esp. for file uploads): openacs has its own cr_mimetypes, there are different sources for standardizing extensions/mimetypes (e.g. IANA, apache config), furthermore different browsers get for different operating system different mimetypes when uploading files, which is a moving target. the whole issue is messy, but i guess there is room for improvement in openacs.