Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Top Ten Priorities for OpenACS ... what are yours?

Collapse
Posted by Sean Harrison on
derek,

Thanks for the link to your previous message thread. I had missed that one. I especially enjoyed looking around the clasohm.com site that Dirk mentioned -- now I'm understanding why /o/objectid is a good capability -- so much faster than looking up all kinds of URLs, for dynamic pages like Clasohm's whats-new page (I really like that he's showing the item class in parens next to the URLs).

For awhile there I thought Clasholm had implemented another idea I've toyed with, which is dynamic hierarchies based on object categories. Basic idea: type mysite.org/category/subcategory. If items exist in the database with that category and subcategory, they'll show up in a dynamically-generated list (probably with the /o/id syntax in the URLs, to be fast). If only one item is there, it'll come up itself.

I think the big problem with using the file system is, how to integrate with Content-Repository _and_ CVS, without making a big hairy mess? I guess that's what I'm going to be thinking about for awhile.

I've set up a project space for this file-manager thing -- just a simple edit-this-page affair: http://edittools.net/projects/file-manager. Anyone who registers can edit pages there. I would welcome your thoughts and interactions.

Thanks again,
Shawn