Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #27 (Approved): Create a works-in-progress directory in /contrib

One question: if you are working on a package should it be in works-in-progress/packages or just in works-in-progress?

One objection: Putting something in a works-in-progress means which it is contrib worthy we then have to move the stuff in CVS (which as we all know is mostly unpleasant and has negative consequences). It also means that we would have to edit the avail file and will generally require someone with cvs admin rights to carry out.

A couple alternatives I would find preferable: either put the status in the .info file, create a contrib/pkgname/WORK-IN-PROGRESS file or README with the status, or add it to contrib in the normal place but do the work on a "work-in-progress" branch so that when peope check out head or a release they would not see the package and would have to do an explicit step to get the package.

Anyway, as long as people realize once something is ready and is moved to contrib it will either break peoples checkout or leave their checked out version stranded relative to the new contrib version and that is considered acceptible then go ahead with this. I don't like it though...

Hence my veto (I would like it to have some further discussion since we should at least consider the drawbacks here).