Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: RedHat and OpenACS - Wake Up Call

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Since Mike brought it up, I would like to see stronger support for OS X. It has quickly swept  into the geek space, Oracle will be officially supported soon (if it isn't already), single click packages for things like Postgresql are around, it makes a lot of sense for .LRN (especially in k-12 where the "system-admin" may also teach the fifth grade), and we can get a 2-3 click install process going for our component parts (that shouldn't be that hard to maintain).

The ease of use and familiarity of Apple would be a nice touch, we would at least triple our prospective users base, and I bet we could even get some interesting press out of it if we make running .LRN on X-Serves a snap.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
OS X makes the world a better place to live in. Especially when it comes down to panther. I could install .LRN one minute faster than on Linux. But maybe this is just to the convenience of me knowing how to make most use of the user friendliness of OS X.

But that does not help the RedHat people. For them I'd suggest to assume that RH is going to provide an upgrade path (everything else would not make a lot of business sense for them). If they fail to do so in due time, I'd switch to SuSE Enterprise (if you need this extra feeling of good support, now with Novell enhancement) or start with Debian.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Maybe is my lack of knowledge of the K-12 U.S. market, but why does it makes sense the .lrn OS X support for them?
Does a lot of k-12 schools uses OS X servers?

Anyway, this is something that we should improve on.

Collapse
Posted by Sam Snow on
Rocael Hernandez said:
Do a lot of k-12 schools uses OS X servers?

I can only speak for one private K-12 school in Utah-- but we don't have any Macs because of their cost. We are in a unique (?) situation of having virtually no IT budget, but I am able to get PC donations from local businesses that have kept us well supplied with teacher and lab computers.

One of our three servers runs NT 4, another RH 7.3--- and a third (as of last weekend) is running Debian.

I chose to go with Debian on this new server because I need something easy to maintain and stable-- and looking at my options Debian seems to be the most promising. How long I will maintain the 7.3 box before either loading a replacement or moving its functions (email, calendar, personal webspace) to the debian box; I am not sure.

I'd love to take a gander at .LRN, but I don't have the resources to do so until it becomes close to a drop in and go install. OpenACS has been there before (3 years ago for example)… but I believe some of that focus has been lost over time.

Sam