Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Some Feedback From an OpenACS Newbie

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
The issue of transparency in the OpenACS community is *PRECISELY* why the OCT was formed. The complaint that we are a clique of developers lost in our obscure technology is said constantly by people outside of our community.

The fact that the right decision was ultimately made is neither excuse for overstepping bounds this time nor comfort that something similar won't happen again.

Torben, I gotta say your post makes no sense. I'm not sure where you're coming from or what you're trying to present. There is plenty of politicing in this community done behind the scenes. Lord knows that I do most of it.

But this instance didn't have to do with that. It was a really dumb mistake on whoever's part. I just don't understand why it had to be done in private.  Aren't we supposed to be allowed to know how and why these things are done so we can make our decisions for the next election?

As far as marketing warfare... oof, that's really stretching it. I have pitched the OpenACS as much or more than anyone in this community, and I have to say that this thread struck me as extremely weird. Bending over backwards to kiss the ass of someone who never spent much time informing himself about the community never struck me as particularly good marketing.

If these people are leaders, then they should be willing to tell someone they are wrong. If not, then they shouldn't be in a leadership position. Things like, "you don't get CVS commit rights because you didn't follow up in your XXX responsibilities" may not be any easier than saying, "your flames are making us look like assholes."

talli