Forum OpenACS Q&A: Neighbor to Neighbor Package?

Collapse
Posted by Glenn Cadman on
On photo.net there exists a Neighbor to Neighbor package, ie posting and commenting on various vendors/services. I cannot see it with OpenACS 4.6.  Where should I look?
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Neighbor to Neighbor was one of those primarily photo.net packages that was never ported from ACS 3.x to 4.x, but it definitely shipped with both OpenACS 3.2.5 and ACS 3.4.10.

I think the version shipped with OpenACS 3.2.5 is the latest for PostgreSQL.

ACS 3.4.10 was not the end of the ACS 3.x line (there was ACES, I think also ACS 3.5, etc.), but I suspect Neighbor to Neighbor was not changed in any of those last few ACS releases. So my guess is that the 3.4.10 version was probably the latest release for Oracle, although the photo.net folks may have made further un-released changes to their version.

I'm not really clear on exactly what Neighbor to Neighbor did, to what extent some of its functionality might be present in other more current OpenACS packages, nor how to would be best to re-create it for a modern OpenACS 4.x/5.0 system. Maybe someone else here can chime in...

Failing that, for more info on Neighbor to Neighbor, you could ask Philip or one of the other photo.net folks.

The comments in the www/doc/sql/neighbor.sql data model imply that it was considered very old and crufty at least as far back as early 2000, but it's quite a small system, only 3 or 4 tables, so figuring out how it worked and possibly porting it shouldn't be too hard.

Collapse
Posted by Glenn Cadman on
OK thanks for the information.

I dont think I will bother Philip on his current international round the world trip with Neighbor to Neighbor questions.

Functionally it appears is simple stuff. It would be a good programing and leaning experience for me.