Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Painful progress

Collapse
2: Re: Painful progress (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
With a view to saving myself several months of development time, I have now spent two days trying to get the various dependencies of OpenACS to work, on Solaris 10, Ubuntu and VectorLinux (Slackware). My achievements so far have been:
- Tcl won't compile easily with threads on Slackware,
Not sure.
- PostgreSQL won't compile easily on Ubuntu
Use ubuntu standard postgres!

- Aolserver only compiled after two days of jumping through hoops on Solaris.
Not sure.

Unfortunately the latest ubuntu uses aolserver 4.5 and has a problem with Postgresql Driver.
Some folks in the community are working on fixing this.

Personally I can install OpenACS in 5 mins :) so I am not a good example. Once you have a working setup, its pretty simple to create a new database and add a new aolserver instance.

The initial setup is a pain. I recommend you pick a platform, any platform, then if you come back with specific questions we'll be glad to help out.

You can join us in #openacs in IRC on freenode.net. The Tcl and Postgresql and AOLserver channels there are also helpful.

Collapse
4: Re: Painful progress (response to 2)
Posted by Chris Usher on
Thanks for the offer of help, I'll be back with more specific details when I decide how few platforms I can get away with.

Chris.

Collapse
5: Re: Painful progress (response to 4)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Also we're resurrecting an effort to make easy-to-install debian packages for unstable and ubuntu, and one of our folks involved in that is also working with the Tcl debian packagers.

So hopefully there will be an easier path by ... (dare I hope) ... summer?

Using debian packages we host here, at first ...