Forum OpenACS Development: article on knoppix customization at O'Rielly

by Robert Bernier, who is making a postgresql book and using
knoppix for examples, it seems.

at http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/20/knoppix.html

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Someone in our community was supposedly working on a knoppix + Openacs disk project at one point ... is this still true?

It would be a cool way to demo stuff.

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
I just was reading this article and followed a link to the the official knoppix creator's page and found this:

Closed because of "Software-Patents"
In the next few days, the European Parliament will decide about the legalisation and adoption of so-called "software patents" in Europe, which are already used by large companies in other countries to put competitors out of business. This can lead to the termination of many software projects such as KNOPPIX, at least within Europe, because the holders of the over 30,000 already granted "software patents" (currently without a legal foundation) can claim exclusive rights and collect license fees for trivial things like "progress bars", "mouseclicks on online order forms", "scrolling within a window" and similar. That way, software developers will have to pay the "software-patentholders" for using these features, even in their own, completely self-developed applications, which can completely stall the development of innovative software for small and medium companies. Apart from this, the expense for patent inquiries and legal assistence is high, for even trying to find out if the self-developed software is possibly violating "software-patents", if you want to continue to market your software. Contrary to real patents, "software-patents" are, in the current draft, monopolization of business ideas and methods, even without any tangible technical implementation.

The end of Knoppix in Europe?

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Tammy, it's not closed, just the site has been "closed" as a protest against patents. A number of software communities did this to their homepages.

Anyway, software patents exist in the US already, so they would be doomed here already.

talli

Collapse
Posted by bob phillips on
the active site is http://www.knoppix.net .

as well, there is a page http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations with numerous variant, knoppix based
releases ( morphix, http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/news/ which allows modular assembly of variants,  seems worth examination).

I built a debian system from the knoppix 3.3 release, and then apt-get. I haven't re-mastered a release yet.

Issues that I see, in regards to openacs on knoppix or morphix include:

- how to manage writable media (mentioned in previous discussion here) the O'Rielly example mentioned above creates a partition on the target system, so isn't entirely
standalone.

- demo database for an example (also mentioned)

- qmail (which I prefer) on a system without an external internet ip

- size of openacs tree on the disk, what to include

-prune list of knoppix standard apps like games to fit openacs into a knoppix image (they use a 700 mb image)

others?

Collapse
the previous discussion was at https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=125005

started by Malte Sussdorff around September 21.

Collapse
Posted by Bjoern Kiesbye on
Hi ,

I'm still working on a new KNOPPIX CD, it will have the latest KNOPPIX
version including aolserver 4 and postgress.
I'm still waiting for the new dotlrn final relase to use that instead
of the old one.

As well I'll make the CD  useable inside a local network (wich
requires DHCP server running) , users inside the network will be able
to access the demo server on the KNOPPIX CD by typing the IP (assigned
by DHCP to the computer the KOPPIX system runs on) in their Browser.

In case we finish the postgress port of the jabber package in time ,
I'll but the package including a Jabber Server on the cd a well.

I can put a ISO image of a littel older version with  a exsample
instalation of dotlrn1.0 (including examle data from a dump,
and a little bug in the db ) for you to download on our server.
In case you want to get an impression on what it will look like.

- how to manage writable media.

- If you want data to be modifieable (like db tablespace) you'll
  have to install them on the ramdisk,  save a coppy of them else
  where (like /usr/local/aolserver/data) and then create the cd.
  You'll have to modify the KNOPPIX startup scripts , to copy
  everything from /usr/local/aolserver/data to the ramdisk befor you
  can  start postgress / aolserver or what ever app. you want
  to start.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Why do you want to make the demo browseable to the local network? Do you expect people to run this for semi-real, for anything else besides a demo?

I would expect this to be used for demos, so accessible to localhost would suffice, but then it's your ISO 😊

BTW, I'm going to make an AOLserver 4 Debian package tomorrow. Should be ready by thursday or so, before the weekend for certain. I'll also package all the modules required by OpenACS/dotLRN, and if I have time before the weekend, I'll try to package up all the modules available at sourceforge.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It would be nice if S&R could make a standard OpenACS 5.0 Knoppix CD as well as a .LRN one ... or include both on one CD at two different IPs or ports or something along those lines.

This is going to be great, I'm really looking forward to being able to pop in a Knoppix CD and have OpenACS or .LRN demos running out of the box!

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
It will be awesome to have these available at Linux World in January. Handing these out as demos of the system will be a big sell.

talli

Collapse
bjoern:

I'd love to take a look at your work in progress. Let me know,
or post the url, when you have time. Don't let it get in the
way of continuing work, from my point of view. I'm looking forward to the end work product!

As you have time, I'd be interested in your comments on the knoppix customization process.

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
When it is accessible from the local network it can be demoed in a company intranet and people who happen to have windows workstations could use their IE to access it, something that cannot be done on Knoppix via localhost only and for some pitiable individuals propably a more realistic experience ...

Björn - another small feature request: please include 'Login as Joe User' / 'Login as Eddie Admin' buttons on the front page like on the dotlrn demo servers, to spare people having to look up and enter demo usernames and passwords.

Collapse
I think you should try a knoppix iso and then think about the
example use of knoppix which ends up with a functioning debian system.

For a new user, the delivery of a functioning system could simplify the elaborate dance which leads to the first running openacs system. The particular variations are infinite, but some stabilty targets might exist. The discussion about dotwork could be one of these. A functioning intranet community tool. !!!

Dotlrn applied to the needs of a non-profit organisation. Education is not the sole property of a university. A bootstrap cd with a template which customizes the community server for a non-profit might prove usefull.

Demo does not imply toy.