Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to web hosting services supporting postgresql?

Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Wong on
Hi,
  I just successfully installed AOLserver with ACS/pg!! =)  I started with Oracle, but couldn't figure out how to configure it properly.  Then I found OpenACS and decided to try it before I gave up on ACS.  I've been playing around with it for the past hour or so and ACS is pretty good.  I'm going to install this on our main server once I figure out how to customize the look of ACS.
  Anyway, to get to Fred's question, we can open up our servers for developers who want to create sites based off of ACS/pg.  I highly doubt that we will support Oracle at the start due to the high cost.  We're planning a move to above.net or exodus in the next few months.  With this move, we'll probably get some more servers (most likely some Sun boxes).  Right now were are running some dual celeron boxes for our tiny site.  It does the job but if people are interested in this service, we will upgrade our machines.
  So if you are a developer interested in sharing a server at exodus or above drop me a line.  If there is enough interest, we will open up our servers for a small monthly fee.  My guess is that the fee will cover the expense of the co-location and the servers.  We will maintain the machines and deal with exodus or above.

---
Gilbert Wong
mailto:gwong@orchardlabs.com
Webmaster - Orchard Labs, Inc.
(we're not db backed yet ;P)