Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to There's a problem with education/class/one.tcl

Well, I got it working.  Thank you for your help.  I hope that my posts in these discussion forums don't rub people the wrong way.  Let me know if I offend you when I say something isn't working.

I used the new sql statement that was submitted, and then had to spend the night last night trying to tweak it to work right.  I actually have a final version that we should probably submit.  I also had to do a major rework of the sql statement in /education/class/assignments-info.tcl.  This too is available if you want it.

Which brings me to my next question.  I'm spending 6-8 hours a day learning what I can about this system, and fixing errors as I go.  I know that you have an organized development lifecycle.  I also understand I'm not an official part of that group.  How would you like me to work with you on this?  Since I'm new, and prone to errors (even though I've been programming for a few years, all this web stuff is only about 8 months old to me now) maybe I ought to submit files to someone for a peer review.  Maybe later I can actually make additions to the CVS tree.  (I'll need someone to point me to a URL or two so that I can train myself with this tool when we get to that point).

A lot of what I've changed in the system has been in regard to karl goldstein's DPS.  If you decide to port 3.3, let me know.  Also, I've gone through the whole system and cleaned out all the nextval stuff.  There were 300 some odd illegal references left in beta 3.  I know that this kind of change blows your CVS tree apart (don't you have to check out and add one file at a time?).  We'll need to work out some plan on using the hours I'm putting into the system for the general good, and not just for my own port of the system.

Finally, it looks like I'm going to venture out from under the corporate umbrella and beat my own path to success in about two or three weeks now.  I start graduate school in about a month, and I've decided that I'd rather put in 60 hours a week working for myself than 80 hours a week working for someone else and myself.  That means I'll have all kinds of time with this system.

Can you tell my mind is going in a million directions?  Sorry.