Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Subsites with separate domain names - issues

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Why not do these as separate OpenACS instances, though, if you really want to treat them as being separate?  The subsite mechanism wasn't really designed to support the "each subsite is a separate world" paradigm.

Are you just concerned about being able to efficiently share machine resources and want to run within a single AOLserver instance?  If so AOLserver's virtual server facility would do what you want, allowing you to define resource pools for virtual servers that can be shared or separate etc.

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
Why not do these as separate OpenACS instances, though, if you really want to treat them as being separate? The subsite mechanism wasn't really designed to support the "each subsite is a separate world" paradigm.

True, but it isn't all that far off from being able to do it, either! :)

I haven't played with AOLserver 4 yet - if this turns out to be too much headache, I could certainly go that route. It seems like that would still be higher resource usage, no? Wouldn't each instance have its own loaded procs? (Caveat: I know nothing about AOLserver 4.)

I got the context bar working this afternoon. Tom's suggestion in the thread linked above was spot on.