Forum .LRN Q&A: Implementation of OKI in dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Pedro Muñoz on
I have seen some messages in this forum regarding the OKI and dotLRN  relationship. Is anyone working on the implementation of OKI in dotLRN?

I would like to ask some more questions:

Are there really advantages to using OKI in dotLRN? (I think that the OKI advantages of interoperability, portability and sharing between LMSs are removed if LMSs don't use the same programming language. Nevertheless, there are other advantages as reusability, scalability, stability, etc.)

Could the OKI specs be implemented in dotLRN? How could this be implemented? (I think the main problem is that dotLRN is based on a non-object oriented programming language (TCL) and the OSIDs of OKI are definitions for an object oriented programming language)

Particularly, could an assesment module in dotLRN be implemented based on the assesment OSID of OKI?

Best Regards,

Pedro Muñoz
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
you might wait to see what actually OKI ends to be, since has been so much attention ... but needs a wider adoption in order to succeed.
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Pedro, I just posted something on my weblog about OKI. The blog entry also refers to the best non-technical explanation of OKI that I have come accross.

As we begin to look ahead to .LRN v3.0 release, we need to develop a white paper that states what approach we will be taking for implementing standards (IMS, SCORM, OKI) in .LRN. It's a confusing state of affairs but we need to sort it out soon.