Forum OpenACS CMS: Problems with OpenACS causing site to crash!

I just started working on OpenACS a few weeks ago and so far I am getting a weird error that I think keeps crashing my virtual server.

PAGE: /packages/dotlrn/lib/toolbar
------------------------------------------------------------
can't read "dotlrn_admin_url": no such variable
    while executing
"lang::util::localize ${dotlrn_admin_url}"
    invoked from within
"if {[string equal "[ad_quotehtml [lang::util::localize ${admin_sw}]]" "1"]} {
append __adp_output "
    <tr>
        <td width=\"100%\" valign=\"top\" align=\"..."
    ("uplevel" body line 53)
    invoked from within
"uplevel {
set __adp_output ""
append __adp_output "<div id=\"dotlrn-toolbar\">
<table cellspacing=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\" width=\"100%\" border=\"0\" ..."
    (procedure "template::code::adp::/home/yabt/yabt/packages/dotlrn/lib/too..." line 2)
    invoked from within
"template::code::${template_extension}::$__adp_stub"
    (procedure "template::adp_parse" line 77)
    invoked from within
"template::adp_parse [template::util::url_to_file "/packages/dotlrn/lib/toolbar" "$__adp_stub"] [list]"
[/code]
-------------------------------------------------------

Also whenever I try to delete the Menu-msgs nav links the links still appear and nothing happens. It only changes if I input a different link or name, but I just want to get rid of the links.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
What changes have you made to the code? It looks like the file packages/dotlrn/lib/toolbar.tcl is missing a declaration for the dotlrn_amdin_url variable.
Collapse
Posted by James Hall on
Well I just started working on this site. I have no made any changes to the code or deleted anything in the packages. Is there something I should add or remove to get rid of this error?
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I don't have enough information.

It looks like you installed dotlrn. What version are you using?

Collapse
Posted by James Hall on
Well I'm really new to this, but it's dotlrn 2.1.1 and I also have another problem trying to remove links from my navigation. I am using menu-msgs and whenever I remove a key message the link still shows up. It only changes when I rename the link or use a different one.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Is this a new install? Something is wrong but its difficult to find out what if you have a new install and have not made any changes. It doesn't seem like there should be such a severe problem in a new install.

Where did you download dotlrn and what install instructions did you use to set it up?

I don't know anything about Menu-msgs so I am not sure how to help with that.

Collapse
Posted by James Hall on
Well the thing is I did not install this. I have only just started working on the site. So I think this error has been here for awhile from the previous webmaster or so.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
ok, well then get a copy of dotlrn 2.1.1 https://openacs.org/projects/dotlrn/download/ and compare the dotlrn-toolbar.tcl file in your install to the original.

This error message

can't read "dotlrn_admin_url": no such variable
while executing

says that the ADP template file refers to a variable called dotlrn_admin_url that is not defined in the TCL file.