Forum OpenACS Q&A: Alpha release of project-manager available

I'm proud to announce the release of the first alpha version of project-manager. This is the result of several months of work on my part. I'd like to thank everyone for their help in answering my questions and helping with code and suggestions.

Is this supported?

Upgrades will not be supported from this release. I'm releasing it in the hope that lots of people will try it out and give me feedback and bug reports.

Is there a demo available?

Of course! There's a demo available for all OpenACS software, silly! Thanks to Collaboraid, we have test servers that let us test out all our software.

This demo won't be available for about 24 hours from this post, because it takes time to move from CVS to the the OpenACS remote repository. And I haven't committed the code yet -- it will be committed in about half an hour.

To see a demo:

• Go to: test.openacs.org
  • Log in as the Administrator. If you see it installed already, try it out, otherwise...
  • Click on the Admin link
  • Click on Install software
  • Click on Install new application under Install from OpenACS Repository
  • Select project-manager, and install it.
  • After it restarts, you should be able to click on project-manager, and test it out.

Report bugs

This is the first release, and it's not being used very heavily at all, so there certainly are bugs! I'm certain that notifications aren't working, and I suspect there are some other bugs lurking beneath the surface.

Please report bugs, UI problems to https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/com/project-manager/. If you have suggestions, feel free to email them to me as well, or post them here. But if you want it fixed or changed, you'll need to post a bug for it.

It's possible that my "manual de-customization" of project-manager will result in project-manager not even being installable. I really wish I had either a better RCS like Arch, or a better methodology of uploading code. Someday, we'll have a best-practices doc on this, I imagine.

Integration with logger

I've pretty fully integrated it with logger. My notes on what I did will be posted on the logger/project-manager integration thread.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Congratulations, Jade. We all know how hard you've worked on this and it's a great addition to the OpenACS.

Congrats again!

talli

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Congratulations Jade. Even the 0.7 was a very good piece of software and we as OpenACS definitly needed a project management tool again. I'm pretty sure you will get a lot of feedback once you go beta and guarantee upgrades, as project management is something most of the OpenACS companies are doing and a good tool to help them will get attention :).
Collapse
Posted by Andrei Popov on
A small suggestion: when commenting things out in .ADP, it maybe a good practice to do it thusly:

<!--People:-->

<!--listtemplate name="people"></listtemplate-->

Rather than:

<!--People:

<listtemplate name="people"></listtemplate>-->

Because ACS Templating still tries to parse the latter (since it sees a listtemplate tag).

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Thanks for the suggestion Andrei. It's a good one!
Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
or even like this:

<if false>
<listtemplate name="people"></listtemplate>
blabla
</if>

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
is there a demo up anywhere yet?

danke.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I've uploaded changes which fix many of the outstanding bugs. Thanks to Malte for fixing several of these (it's nice to be working with other people now!).
Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Not right now. For some reason the test servers seem to be down.