Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Postgres

Collapse
3: Re: Postgres (response to 2)
Posted by Claudio Pasolini on
I installed OACS 5 with Postgres 7.4 and things work well overall, but I got some errors due to Postgres internal table change: for example schema-browser doesn't work anymore (I don't remember the name of the table wich is missing in 7.4) and so I'm not sure if 7.4 is safe for production use.
Collapse
4: Re: Postgres (response to 3)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Thanks guys. Ok so if I understand correctly, an internal table change in Postgres should not affect the OpenACS data model. The schema browser MAY be the only thing affected. However I read some posts that said that pg_dump has been changed again just to make our lives interesting!

My problem is some heavily customised code mixed in with OpenACS 4.6.1. I want to upgrade to OpenACS 5.0 but am dreading doing it because of my changes and customisations. I had hoped to try installing two instances of postgres as a temporary measure but the environment variables that postgres requires will make that impossible (i.e. cannot point LD_LIBRARY_PATH to two places at once can I!?).

Maybe the best thing is to go for 7.3.4 on what is planned to be the production machine and try to upgrade to 7.4 on the development box.

If I wanted to avoid messing with any of my custom code in the photo album and ecommerce modules, what would be the minimum partial upgrade necessary to move a site from 4.6.1 to 4.6.3 so that it will run with Postgres 7.4?

Many Thanks
Richard