Forum OpenACS Development: Bookmark session data persistence

Collapse
Posted by Gabriel Burca on
I'd like to make two changes to the bookmarks package, but I want some feedback first to see if others would find the changes useful. The proposed changes are as follows:

1. Make the index page display all folders in a closed state by default. I have a few hundred bookmarks organized in a handful of top level folders. When accessing the bookmarks main page, instead of getting the handful of top level folders, I get a huge page with all folders in the open state and all bookmarks displayed. In my case the change would drop the size of the index page from about 300k to about 10k.

2. Currently entries in the bm_in_closed_p table (which maintains the session data of folders that are opened/closed) are removed if they are older than 1 day. I'd like to increase this to something more reasonable like 1 week/month, and to "restart the clock" every time a user visits the main bookmarks page. That way frequent users of the package will have their session data retained while actively using the package.

Currently if you do a "Close all folders" one day and use the package every few hours for 24hrs, all folders are going to be in the open state again the next day because the session data is set to expire 1 day after it was created, not 1 day after it was last used.

Does anybody see any problems with the proposed changes?

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Those changes sound fine to me.  I would just go ahead
(particularly as there are no datamodel changes).