Forum .LRN Q&A: Galileo is now using .LRN!

Hello All,
we are proud to announce that Galileo is now using .LRN (2.1a2), our installation is named GES 2 (Galileo Educational System v.2),
so far has been quite stable tag for us, but we needed to do several enhancements in our code to make it scale, and all the improvements are being commited to oacs-5-1 branch.

We migrated from ACES to .LRN, tooks us more tha 72hours the whole process including last minute bug fixing and improvements.
Our .LRN system now has:
16,000 dotlrn-users
4,000 classes
66,540 files stored in the DB (lob)
411,030 items in the content repository
1,727,596 acs_objects
our actual pg DB is about 12GB.

Using aolserver 4.0.7 and postgres 7.4.3 in Debian kernel 2.6.x.

Our hardware configuration is:

DB server, Sauron:
Dell 2650, Dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz 1MB cache
raid 1  SCSI 146GB 10Krpms
(we'll have faster disks soon)

Webserver, Saruman:
Dell 2650, Dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz 1MB cache
raid 1  SCSI 73GB 15Krpms

We will move most of the CR lob files to the file system, which will make the things faster, so anyone that might consider to launch a big installation should store the files directly to the file system instead of PG.

Its integrated to LDAP for authentication of new users, changes on passwords and stuff like that. Also integrating through ims-ent with the university administration system, which help us to map all the users and classes automagically.

Reach the system at ges2.galileo.edu.

Most of the pages are serving at 600ms rate, which is not bad, and some more complex portal pages are about 1200ms which for the most users is acceptable.

Special thanks to all the MIT crew that did a lot of last minute improvements that did this installation of .LRN possible (Tracy, Andrew & Don) and thanks also to all the support from Al and Sloan during this process.

And of course, thanks to the effort of all the Galileo developer crew (GES Team): jopez, quio, paolo, cherry, charly, hector & otto ...

Have a look at some screenshots!
https://openacs.org/storage/?folder_id=200188

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Congratulations, this is great news!
37,454 dotlrn users
2,621,325 acs_objects
561,707 cr_items
809,828 cr_revisions
5,507 dotlrn classes

Important to mention that the files (file-storage & evaluation) now are being stored in the file system, also a significant increase (about 20K) in the registered users has happen this year, we expect to have about 60,000 users by the end of the year.

Still the same HW, no performance penalties has been detected by this grow.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
How many hits/sec are you getting at peak times.

Is there any tuning on the postgres side that didn't find it's way back in to the toolkit?

Are you running the autovacuum daemon?

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
1. 20 and about 50 to 100 users browsing all the time.
2. well, for evaluation we got rid of all the CR views that were killing the performance, now we need to test the new cr tcl api to see if it slows down or not
3. yes
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Rocael,

It would be very educational to see the original querys with plans and the new ones with plans to see what's going on. Surprisingly I did not see that the views in PostgreSQL has inefficient plans at all, compared to Oracle.

Collapse
Posted by David Arroyo Menéndez on
Congratulations Galileo!!

I know that this news can encourage to UNED to imitate your steps 😊. Could you publish the scripts?

Regards!

Collapse
Thanks David,
which scripts you refer to?
Any scripts! :D.

I supose that you've migrated the data from ACES datamodel to .LRN datamodel. It's a hard work and it would provide a big help.

Althought any documentation, software or tips will be welcome.

Collapse
Posted by David Arroyo Menéndez on
Oops I thought that it was a new thread, but I'm viewing the original message date: 01/09/04. I was confused.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Rocael, are you still running on just one dual-Xeon machine for the web server and one for the database?
Collapse
Michael, yes!