Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Failure to connect to AOLServer from another PC

Jonathan,

I totally agree with you, but in the WAN I operate in, I am but a small cog on the far edges of the network. I am in a field office of a much larger organization (WAN) that stretches from Singapore to Brussels with many stops in between. I'm using my laptop as a proof of concept for office managers in one small part of the WAN. If they decide to go ahead with a test implementation, then a true server with a FQDN and DNS registration will be installed at our regional hub in Atlanta and serve just the needs of the southeast for 12 months or so. Based on need or success of the pilot implementation, the system (OPENACS) will then be moved to the center of the WAN and will be made available to all on the WAN.

Your post about "split horizon DNS" intrigues me though. As I'm not an Administrator at the Domain level, I'll research the concept and then float it up to the Domain Admins in OKC.

Thanks for your valuable input and of course for the RPM packages...I've successfully installed them on 4 seperate machines with minimal problems so far...

Thanks,