Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to survey builder module

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on

For me, I'm not going to have a good sense of what else I'd want in survey builder until I get a chance to play with it a bit more. UI is definitely going to be an important place to start, though.

In general, I'd like to see it usable for the following types of applications in addition to the creation of surveys:

• Testing: This will be crucial for .LRN. We'll need anti-cheating mechanisms, the ability to create a test question bank (both of which may already be in the current system), and a decent reporting system (though some of this last piece may be customized specifically for .LRN).
  • Diagnostic or decision support tools: With branching, you can set up a system to help users identify problems, make difficult choices, and so on. Nothing other than the branching capability itself is necessary here, although some kind of tree visualization tool would be very helpful. Another nice-to-have for this purpose would be the ability to capture the decision paths of individual users.
  • eLearning simulations: You could use the same branching tool to create adventure-game-like simulations. This would be particularly useful in corporate eLearning, but it could have lots of academic applications as well.
  • Polling: I see no reason not to replace polling with code from survey builder. In the long-run, this would enable more sophisticated data analysis and graphing tools that may get built into one to be usable by the other.

That's about all I can think of without spending more time playing with the module itself.