Forum .LRN Q&A: End-User Documentation

Collapse
Posted by Romas Mažeika on
I know that this was discussed already billion times, but everytime idea of having end-user documentation hot to use OpenACS/dotLRN stucks somewhere in the middle. Here is another try to push thing.

AIESEC has recently released it's own version of help pages for users of AIESEC systems. It briefly covers majority of dotLRN portlets that are used most often. Of course these materials are heavily based on OpenACS version used by AIESEC.

Currently all materials are presented as simple ADP pages. My idea is to have them in the form of wiki, so that users would be able to add missing parts and update already existing ones. I was trying to use ETP, but it is not enough flexible and user friendly as it is out of the box.

As it was already mentioned in someones postings before, it would be really great to have documentation for end users included with every OpenACS/dotLRN installation would it be in the form as pages in .../www/help or as a separate package which would be optional (but very recommended) to install.

It would be wonderfull if you could share support materials used by you or your clients, and build comprehensive documentation.

Meanwhile you check what does AIESEC have at http://aiesec.net/support My Account & Communities Learn section

Romas

Collapse
2: Re: End-User Documentation (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Romas, thanks a lot for your link. At the moment we are improving openacs by providing help texts beneath each form field so people know what they can enter. In addition to that I really hope to get a lot of documentation like you described out into the open.

As for ETP, which version are you trying to use and do you have HTMLarea already enabled. If you do, I think using ETP is a piece of cake and really useful :).

Collapse
3: Re: End-User Documentation (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Romas,

To a certain extend I think I understand your comments. There is great example of how etp could be presented. http://www.editme.com/ . However the more I use ETP the more I get the the idea it offers the same functionality, apart from the html security constraints in a default OACS installation.
If ETP would be presented with the default WSYWYG function in place that would make a huge difference IMO.

A major problem (I would rather call it a challenge) with a toolkit is that you are presented with a blank system, and it's up to your own imagination to create something that will work for you. Trying to find your bearings between functions can indeed be confusing and should be made more userfriendly. A presentation of how people use ETP might make a difference.

The default settings with al graphics turned of don't realy help, because whatever you try you will end up with an error message, but that's not a constraint caused by ETP. The reasons are valid, but you only find the explanation by searching the forum. I guess Malte, who raised this issue earlier and others will find an answer to this somehow.

Smart usage of the clipboard function in photodatabase however could solve some concerns in this respect.

We might however learn a few things form UI/presentation the editme guys created.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
4: Re: End-User Documentation (response to 1)
Posted by Harish Krishnan on
Romas, I think you did a great job with the documentation for aiesec.net support. May be this could go into the releases after some editing and removing AIESEC specifics.

To my knowledge AIESEC runs on oracle ( openacs 4.6.3 )and already uses a customized version of ETP + htmlarea. IMO it would not take much time to create a new ETP application that would satisfy your requirements unless you need further customization.

By the way have you checked out the latest openacs and dotlrn releases. It really rocks. May be its time to do an upgrade 😉.