Forum OpenACS Q&A: Better FreeBSD ports for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Braithwaite on
A port would definitely simplify my life when installing AOLServer, PostgreSQL, pgdriver, libxml, nsxml, openfts, daemontools etc. I just found the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook and will look into it. I would love to do "make install" and have everything done automatically. :)

Funny you should mention that. After the OpenACS social last Monday I got to work on a FOR_OPENACS_USE flag to the AOLserver port that would introduce a dependency on Postgres, and also download all the extra AOLserver modules that are needed to run OpenACS4. Of course, the next day, the world went to hell, but it's nearly done.

(Installing OpenACS would be a little out of the bailiwick of an AOLserver port, of course.)

One question I had was whether OpenACS4 requires the aD patches to AOLserver. Superficially, it works okay without them, but perhaps FOR_OPENACS_USE should imply `+ad'.

Gilbert, were you able to link nsxml.so dynamically against libxml? The only way I could get AOLserver to load nsxml was to link it in statically.