Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Enhanced KM in OpenACs 4.0 -- interface to OpenCyc

Michael: By all means lets put together some uses cases and do some wireframes. Where would you like to start?

Let's start with your first two ideas:

1) Query optimization through improved contextualization (determining the knowledge domain of the query) before submitting it.

2) Improved presentation of query result sets through chunking results to search context(s) (organizing the presentation of search results according to the possible context(s) of the query).

It seems to me that these two are the simplest to think about first, since they need only to interface with search and not any other part of OpenACS. I'm not really clear on how hard (3) would be or how necessary it is for achieving (1) and (2), and I'm fairly certain that (4) would require more work.

OK, so with that in mind, how would you envision "query optimization" to work? What's it like from the user's perspective? Are there examples of existing pre-search dialogs you can point to as similar?

Likewise, how do you picture the "chunking" of results into "contexts"? How is that like or unlike search results pages that are out there now? For example, I'm not really clear yet on how, from a user's perspective "a collection of phrases and keywords grouped into the smallest possible number of headings" differs from Yahoo! or from Northern Light.

BTW, according to the latest Sourceforge update, it looks like we will have plenty of time to think this through:

Although many of the constants with incomplete minimal definitions do have many other assertions in the Cyc knowledge base, the minimal definitions are a prerequisite for any release of OpenCyc. This should not affect the release date of OpenCyc 1.0 (currently slated for delivery before the end of 2001), but it will delay the open beta release of OpenCyc 0.9B for several months. New dates for OpenCyc 0.9B will be provided as they become available.