Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Is there such a thing in OpenACS as an admin who is not a super user?

Brian,

I think you can do something like what you want for subsites by making the moderating user (MU) an admin of a subsite, then the MU can manage users at subsite/members

For example, example.com/subsite1/members

This is not exactly the same however, as users will need to register to the main site first for this to work, and permissions can be applied to other subsites on the website, just not the main subsite.

For example, you can give the group members at example.com/subsite1/members specific permissions for example.com/subsite2 etc. That way any member of subsite1 (determined by MU) will have the pre-arranged permissions for subsite2.

Note that if a subsite/members admin adds a new user directly through the UI instead of just adding a registered user to subsite1 membership, the notifications such as invitation are buggy (may not work for the new user).

Hope this is clear, if not I'll be glad to explain in more detail.
cheers,

Torben

Hi Torben,

thanks very much for the reply. That is indeed very useful to know and will be something to bear in mind in future for me. Unfortunately, in this case we are not using subsites, and anyway the client has decided that the problem does not warrant spending any more money on customization.

many thanks for your thoughtful response!
Brian