Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open ACS handling heavy traffic

Collapse
Posted by Jerry Asher on
You can probably consider 100 requests per second to be an upper limit. That's assuming that everyone that comes to slashdot decides to hit your link (it's that faked shot of Bill and the goatsex guy you photoshopped up.)

100 requests per second is what slashdot appears to serve at its best. This was mentioned by joe random user in a story there yesterday and it was also what I estimated back in August in a message to Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Thought you might be interested...

According to CommanderTaco, http://slashdot.org/~CmdrTaco/journal/ The new slashdot:

"We topped out over 55 pages/second for several minutes (Live Slashdot does only around half that much)."

Also we know that slashdot was: from http://slashdot.org/articles/00/05/18/1427203.shtml

• 5 load balanced Web servers dedicated to pages
  • 3 load balanced Web servers dedicated to images
  • 1 SQL server
  • 1 NFS Server
So the old slashdot needed 5 webservers * 27.5 pages/second = 137.5 pages per second.

So those are 137.5 big pages (the homepage is right now about 45K). Outrageous BOTEC: all pages are 45K so 137.5 pages/second or about 6Mbytes/second throughput. Big, but not too big. Apache Bench tells me that I can do 98 45Kbyte pages per second on one machine (PIII 450) with AOLserver (system claiming to be 38% idle). What do they need 5 web servers for?

So for every user, how many db transactions are there *on average* to present a page? I think at most one and it's a read. Assuming every user is logged in, slashcode needs to get the preferences (what kind of content boxes (slashbox?) the user wants) and then find content to fill those boxes. But in general filling a content box should be a cached operation that changes only on the rare writes. I.e, I look up user id from cookie (3872), determine that you're the real bruce perens, determine you want these 20 boxes, and then look in the cache to see what's in those boxes and push the bytes out. Even the ordering and other various thresholds can probably be cached. Sort this box in highest order first, showing all messages, now cache it again with order by date, showing messages scored 2 or higher. You need some way to post a comment, commit to the db, and flush/fix up the cache.

I do think it's interesting to say that OpenACS is not a good fit for a Slashdot site. OpenACS as it is today is better suited to sites that need many more than one db transaction per page, and where there are significant chunks of writes, and not just reads. (In that sense, MySQL may not be such a bad fit for Slashdot.) Another way of saying this is that OpenACS is for "communities" of collaborating peers, not just mobs of lurkers.

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this....

And I still don't.