Forum OpenACS Q&A: What happened the forum daily summary mail?

I've mail Ben Adida about this but didn't hear back, so I decided to
post here. I stopped receiving the forum daily summary mail about a
week ago for no obvious reason. Can somebody put me back on the list
again please?

thanks,

Collapse
Posted by Cynthia Kiser on
You can check your workspace to see if you are still subscribed to daily email alerts. I am but have not gotten any in the last few days so suspect that the something broke - code or mail server.
Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Yes, that was the first thing I checked and it says "Enabled OpenACS Daily", so it looks like I should be getting them. I'm still not getting any mails though, but I did get a mail when Cynthia posted though, so some form of mail is going out from the site...
Collapse
OpenACS has completely left my conscious mind over the past few weeks... because I still haven't been getting the daily mails! It's amazing how true the old adage "out of sight, out of mind" is. It was only when we were debating here in the office about what to do with our ticket tracker that I remembered that I was the OpenACS guy on the team and that I had fallen completely out of touch with developments on the project. Can somebody please help me figure out what's happening? The last daily summary I received was sent on Tuesday 27th November.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Nightly tarballs weren't being made, either.  There was a runaway process named "aolserver-error" running that I just killed, and lo-and-behold a Dec 14th tarball completed right off the bat.  And qmail started getting some time allocated to it.  I wonder if any of you will start getting your digests now?
Collapse
Posted by Todd Gillespie on
Well, I recieved a 332K digest only an hour ago, so I'd guess things
are back to normal.
Collapse
Thanks Don. I got the daily summary this morning. I missed you guys!
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
What's happening is that watchdog's log parser (the toolkit's bin/aolserver-errors.pl script) gets itself into an infinite loop at times.  For some reason this locks out certain scripts.  It may be because AOLserver only allocates one thread for scheduled scripts like watchdog, digest building, cvs updating so the latter two scheduled jobs get blocked if watchdog loops forever (???? this is just a hypothesis as I don't know if this is how AOLserver handles scheduled jobs ????)

Anyone out there - Jerry Asher, maybe - know?

If someone wants to take a look at the script and fix it, several people will heap praise upon you.  It turns out that it doesn't only loop here at openacs.org at times, but on other sites, including ACS Classic 3.4 sites.  But so far the nuisance level of having to kill it off every few months has been less than the nuisance of trying to debug the Perl script, apparently.  Or if someone has fixed it they've not shared the fix with the community ...

Collapse
I think this could be happening again, but intermittently. I didn't receive the main Forum daily summary today, but I did get the 4.0 Design forum daily summary. Same thing happened a few days ago.

Also openacs.org was crawling about a half hour ago - almost unusable. (Maybe that's because it has to send out all those digest mails?!)