Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Just a suggestion

Collapse
38: Re: Just a suggestion (response to 1)
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Malte wrote:

I think we have the commitment for the next two years
by the university of Reading to provide the Windows
Installer for .LRN (if I'm not mistaken). For the rest
it is a different matter.

Hi, that would be great news. I think I mentioned it, our Project/Open installer is basicly a port of Vlassis' InstallAnywhere proprietary installer to the free Inno Setup. However, we have maintained exactly the same versions of both AOLServer and CygWin.

We're currently experiencing some nasty incompatibility errors between different versions of Windows without consistent explanation until now. Windows 2000 for example seems to work out in 90% of all cases, while XP gives an error in >50% aparently. Another time we had permission problems in a system that otherwise worked fined. Really strange.

And Windows 2003 server gives us a very new surprise: AOLServer (4.0.beta_10) consistently crashes with the error "Ns_Tls: invalid key 0, should be between 1 and 100). I believe this error has been fixed in a later version of AOLServer. However, the compilation of all of the AOLServer components (nscache, nsopenssl, nspostgres and tDOM) is extremely complex (we tried during about a week to get down to it, but had to give up finally), and it seem that nobody went through this exercise after Jamie Rasmussen in February 2003. I think we would need some serious help from Dossy here.

Vlassis, are you there? What do you think about the situation? Maybe it would be great to know who else is working on this issue.

We also checked Knoppix as a fall-back solution. However, it's a dead end, because it doesn't allow for development. It's really only for running a demo.

Bests,
Frank