Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Res: Accessibility Tutorial: 11/may/2009

Collapse
Posted by Hector Amado on
Hi All! Here is the link to the Accessibility Tutorial

https://ugalileo.webex.com/ugalileo/lsr.php?AT=dw&SP=MC&rID=29400882&rKey=A59CBDA16141E21E

Yo need the Webex ARF Player plugin (Windows and Mac only)

Thanks to Emma for the Tutorial !

Best regards,
Hector Amado

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Hector,

You are welcome, it's been a pleasure 😊

I'm sorry about the technical problems we had at the beginning, delaying the tutorial.

Let me insist that despite the tutorial lasted 2.5 hours, it covers only part of the accessibility issues to be considered when creating/reviewing/evaluating a website.

I think it would be interesting to have a one-day workshop on usability and accessibility at the next OpenACS/.LRN conference.

Thank you Rocael and Galileo team for the organization of the tutorial and your support.

Collapse
Posted by Olga C. Santos on
I second your proposal, Emma, of having anusability and accessibility workshop at the next OpenACS/.LRN conference. And now the question is: is there an answer for the 'when' and the 'where' for the next conference?

Olga

yes, lets do that.
Collapse
Posted by Héctor Romojaro on
Hi all,

We have uploaded the scripts mentioned in the accesibility tutorial here: https://openacs.org/storage/?folder_id=2478679

They use standard unix tools (sed, grep,...) to test some items of the WCAG 1.0 Checklist, priority 1 and 2.

It's possible to add exceptions, for each test and globals, in the exceptions directory. They will be evaluated as grep patterns, so regular expressions are ok, as well as simple expressions like filenames.

The script has a verbose option (-v), which shows a large description of each test being passed and the URL of the checklist item.

Usage: $ ./waitest [-v] priority directory

Example: $ ./waitest 1 /web/openacs/packages/
* Performing checks for Web Content Accesibility guidelines 1.0, priority 1
[...]

I have tested them in a Debian GNU/Linux box, results may be different on other Unixes with different grep/sed/... versions.

Adding new tests or editing existing ones is really easy:
1- Add the test description on waitest-descriptions.
2- Replace the dummy test on waitest-functions file with the new one.
3- Uncomment the test on waitest file.

Future: OpenACS integration, upgrade to WCAG 2.0, new tests, database interaction...

Hope you like it :)

-- Héctor