Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN Planner missing function

Collapse
Posted by Marco Rodriguez on
Hi, i'm working with the planner view, but there is a function that i dont find:

Problem1:
set subcategory_name [content_portlet::get_category_name -category_id $subcategory_id]

the function is "content_portlet::get_category_name" i tried to find it in the cvs.openacs.org repository but i didn't find it.

Problem 2: Also in the assessment-diff.patch, appear this
"callback -catch -impl "dotlrn" planner::extend_form -block_id $block_id -form_name "assessment_form" -block_object_type $block_object_type"

but the variable "$block_object_type" it's not defined anywhere.

Problem 3:
i can't remove the planner view of a community, because it only try to instantiate_and_mount the planner, no matter the flag enable_p is "f", so i get an error when i try to remove the planner view, because the package it's already mounted

Collapse
Posted by Alvaro Rodriguez on
Hi Marco,

It's great news that you're using the .LRN Planner, thanks for the feedback, this is the first version of this package and definitely more testing was needed.

Here are my answers:

Problem1: That proc doesn't exist because I forgot to update the references to the new version of the content package, it is updated now, see: http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/planner/tcl/planner-procs.tcl?r1=1.1&r2=1.2, just a side note: the Planner works with learning-content package but this has not been well tested

Problem 2: That parameter was not needed, I've updated it, see: http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/planner/planner-patch/assessment-diff.patch?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

Problem 3: I didn't test this part much, but this would definitely need some more time, I'll try to look into it when I get a chance, or if you have time maybe you can check it out and let me know if you find a possible solution

Collapse
Hi Alvaro,

I'm still testing the .LRN Planner, and i have more questions XD:

Problem 1: In planner/www/index.tcl the "content_package_url" variable it's declared with "site_node::get_children -package_key "xowiki" -filters {name "content"}" but if we are working with learning content, it has to be "site_node::get_children -package_key "learning-content" -filters {name "learning-content"}" y think.

Problem 2: In planner/planner-patch/evaluation-diff.patch, in evaluation/www/task-view.adp we have "property name="planner_object_id">@task_item_id;noquote@" but "task_item_id" doesn't exist in task-view.tcl, i think it has to be task_id

Problem 3: When i create an HTML page or text with the xowiki 0.118 i receive an error:
packages/xowiki/tcl/xowiki-www-procs.tcl
can't read "context_package_id": no such variable
while executing
"subst $context_package_id"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel subst [lindex $_var 1]"
(procedure "next" line 8)

Problem 4: if i have 5 blocks, and i move the 4th block to the 3rd block with the javascript function(drag and drop) the up arrow appear in the 4th block, or sometimes appear in 5th an 4th block

Problem 5: When i access FileStorage from the Planner View, only in the first page i have access to add files to the Planner View, if i go to a folder, i lost the links to add to the planner

Collapse
Hi Marco,

I've had no time to look into this, but here are some answers:

Problem 1: You're right, the name was wrong, my older version of content was called 'content' instead of 'learning-content', I've fixed it in the cvs, I have not tested this though.

Problem 2: It must be the task_item_id, you should set it in the task-view.tcl using the task_id, I need to update the patch to fix this, will do it later.

Problem 3: Probably something changed in the most recent versions of xowiki, I have not tested the Planner with xowiki 0.118, the required version is 0.106.1, the one in the oacs-5-4 branch, I suggest you use that version for now.

Problem 4 and 5: will look into it later :)

Hope this helps,

Collapse
Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for the answer, just two more thing:
1) The edit function of content pages or chat doesn't work, i'm pretty convinced it's because when callbacks was created in those package, there wasn't name for the planner package, because the edit_ur an delete_url callbacks already exists, but they are

ad_proc -public -callback dotlrn::blocks::edit_url -impl category {}

maybe adding a patch, that change this to planner::edit_url

2) The activity_select doesn't have the "Add Chat Room" action

i will try with the 0.106.1 version of xowiki =D

Collapse
Hi Marco,

1) You're right, that namespace was wrong, and it was exactly because I didn't have the planner namespace when I uploaded the learning-content package to the cvs, I've fixed this in the cvs, I updated the learning-content-callback-procs.*

2) Chat is not fully supported by the Planner now, I need to create an extra script to patch all the chat files and set some conditions to make it work only when chat is installed.

Whenever I get more time I will look into all the fixes/improvements you have pointed out.

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi! In the University of Valencia are testing the Planner View.

We have read the documentation and the planner package is working well.

We would like to get the code with the Standard callbacks, we haven't found the patch to add the these callbacks in dotlrn.

"Standard callbacks: These callbacks are implemented once in the dotlrn package because there's no difference in the code needed for all packages."

1.planner::extend_form
2.planner::insert_object

Thanks for share your work

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Marco! for solve the problem 3, I have added this code

Thanks for your comments.

Problem 3:
i can't remove the planner view of a community, because it only try to instantiate_and_mount the planner, no matter the flag enable_p is "f", so i get an error when i try to remove the planner view, because the package it's already mounted

--- /u/soft/GROUPWARE/INSTALACION/dotlrn_cvs_head/openacs-4/packages/planner/tcl/planner-procs.tcl 2009-07-27 19:43:38.000000000 +0200
+++ tcl/planner-procs.tcl 2009-08-31 14:36:00.295724795 +0200
@@ -857,8 +857,11 @@
dotlrn_community::add_applet_to_community $community_id dotlrn_learning_content
}
}
+ #DRG
+ if {![apm_package_installed_p "planner"]} {
# Mount the planner package
dotlrn::instantiate_and_mount $community_id planner
+ }
#Insert the community to blocks view and create the first empty block by default
if { [string equal [planner::enabled_p -community_id $community_id] ""] } {
set current_index 0

Collapse
Thanks Dario
Collapse
Hi Dario,

It's great news that you're using the Planner View Package.

About the "Standard callbacks", in the beginning the planner was not a package itself, it was part of dotlrn, that's why the documentation said the callbacks were implemented in dotlrn, now those are implemented in the planner package, I've updated the documentation to avoid future confusions.

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Alvaro! I have changed the place where the callbacks are implemented and its works well. For example in the package forums:

diff -uBb ../forums/lib/forums/new.tcl~ ../forums/lib/forums/new.tcl
--- ../forums/lib/forums/new.tcl~ 2009-09-01 16:49:38.287608649 +0200
+++ ../forums/lib/forums/new.tcl 2009-09-01 16:49:38.287608649 +0200
@@ -47,7 +47,9 @@
}

## Planner View
- callback -catch -impl "dotlrn" planner::insert_object -block_id $block_id -object_id $forum_id
+ #DRG
+ #callback -catch -impl "dotlrn" planner::insert_object -block_id $block_id -object_id $forum_id
+ callback -catch -impl "planner" planner::insert_object -block_id $block_id -object_id $forum_id
###

ad_returnredirect $return_url
@@ -62,7 +64,9 @@
element set_value forum name $name

## Planner View -> Extend Form
- callback -catch -impl "dotlrn" planner::extend_form -block_id $block_id -form_name "forum"
+ #DRG
+ #callback -catch -impl "dotlrn" planner::extend_form -block_id $block_id -form_name "forum"
+ callback -catch -impl "planner" planner::extend_form -block_id $block_id -form_name "forum"
###
}

Thanks for your response!!!

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi! The package Planner works very well, but there are some problems with the theme Zen. The view Planner hide some portlets, as news-portlet, cards-portlet and dotlrn-portlet.

We would like test the view planner with the "theme-tupi". In fact there are some links to the "theme-tupi"

For example in planner/tcl/planner-procs.tcl:

ad_proc -public planner::get_object_icon

"apm_package" {
set object_image "/resources/theme-tupi/images/added/learning_content.png"
}

Could you upload the theme-tupi in the CVS, please?

Thank you for your help.

Collapse
Hi Dario,

I don't know about any theme-zen problems, could you tell me where are does portlets hidden, the planner certainly changes the course home so you won't see the portlets as the usual course home.

That reference to theme-tupi is from the learning-content package but I haven't done that yet, I need to update the learning-content parts of the code to work with theme-zen.

About theme-tupi, there is no plan to commit that theme for now, besides I think this version of the planner might not work with theme-tupi since I changed it to work with theme-zen.

Hope this helps,

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Alvaro!
I have added some links to the portlet news, cards and staff list to solve this problem in the top area of planner.
Moodle has three column, the teacher can show the portlets in left o right column and in the middle show the planner view.

The theme tupi has three columns like Moodle, by this reason I'd like get the theme tupi.

planner dotlrn view
planner Moodle view

Thanks for your help
Collapse
Hi Dario,

I noticed Moodle three columns view since I started working with the planner and I know it would be very helpful, if you notice Moodle has those three columns only in the planner view page, not in every page, this means that the three column view should be implemented in the planner package index and not in the theme as in theme-tupi (tupi has two columns).

The three column view is in my wish list for this package but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to do it now. I'll let you know when I do it, or if you can do some work about that yourself, let me know how can I help you.

Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Alvaro!

It's a good idea change the view planner to three columns. At the moment we are going to install the package in production, if it's work well and if is used by the professors then we could improve it.

Thank you

At Galileo. Marco has just implemented a 2 column view for the planner, so we plan to contribute it soon, no new theme at this point.
Collapse
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Rocael, Thanks for the great work. We have installed the package in our production system. The package planner is a good idea for our Moodle users, the Interface is very similar.

Thanks.

Collapse
Hi Alvaro, i have some problems if i try to install the planner with the patches, because the paths in the dotlrn and file-storage patches are wrong, it says blocks-clean but that doesn't exist

*** blocks-new/packages/dotlrn/www/admin/planner-enable.tcl 1969-12-31 19:00:00.000000000 -0500
--- blocks-clean/packages/dotlrn/www/admin/planner-enable.tcl 2009-07-05 22:16:44.000000000 -0400

Collapse
Hi Marco,

You were right, it seems like the paths of some patches were not updated, I just committed this fixes to the following files.

planner/planner-patch/dotlrn-diff.patch
planner/planner-patch/file-storage-diff.patch

Thanks for the heads up.

--
Alvaro

Collapse
Hi Alvaro, Planner package use the search::url callback, and this is called from o.vuh in acs-subsite, my doubt is why dont use subsite::url callback, this is already defined in acs-subsite package.

When i try to use the planner package without install learning-content, i get an error, because o.vuh call subsite::url and the planner callbacks are called search:url.