Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OACS4.x install, make for nsxml fails

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Jonathan,

From an operations perspective, there is a certain risk involved in depending on others to issue RPMs in a timely manner. Also, I am an OACS developer in training, so I need to understand how to put together a system beyond the theory. That is one of the purposes of installing via source.

Installing xmllib2 requires more of an implicit understanding of linux OS operations (in context with OACS) than I expected from the docs.. the implications of xmllib2 placement etc. and so it seems beneficial to work it out up front for anyone who cannot use RPMS --the worst case scenario.  Do it once up front and everyone else benefits later --long term thinking while learning.

I will install using your RPMS on some subsequent machines (which I have yet to get to). For a standard alternate install.  Are your RPMs using source or binary?

I will be installing OACS4.x on some PPC machines running SuSE also. Installing from source, one can be relatively machine independent, which for me has advantages since no two machines I operate are alike.