Forum OpenACS Q&A: Some clearifcation on my concept

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
The travel trade formula I am working on is no longer based on FIXED PRODUCT RATES in a database because in the travel industry this model is no longer a valid business concept. Most transactions are based on yield management ( for your info, listen to this interview" . The product info can be stored in the product module of ACS e-commerce, but rates are subject to confirmation from a variety of sources ( on-line systems like www.expedia.com www.orbitz.com or as advised by supplier by e-mail to retailer)

1. Client asks for a service.
2. Travel consultant checks resources
3. Quotes client
4. Process orders based on rates received subject to market conditions (i.e. that can change by the minute).
5. Agent confirms to client
6. Agent pays supplier ( or guarantees payment for realease after services are provided. (escrow account)
7. A last option would be where clients pay local and agents invoice supplier for commission, and supplier can pay to agent on a direct debit/credit basis.

This is a brief breakdown of my challenge. A solution has not yet been presented anywhere on the net but from what I have seen from the ACS toolkit, I am convinced it can be done. I also believe a number of people on this list are also working towards similar concepts. I.e. the alternative to the top heavy shoppingcart format. A great improvemnet would be to add baisic transaction infrastructure to the ticket tracker, because this tool can easily be linked to customer services processes of suppliers by means of hyperlinks. Jus some thoughts...