Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Why do you use OpenACS and .LRN?

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Dodwell on
Just to add my 2 penniworth of praise for Joe's post as well. I read it with great interest and agree with it all. Adam and Ben posts too prompt me to join in.

I've been using OACS off and on for about 3 years and love playing with it as Simon was saying in a recent post. As a professional developer, TCL and OACS are tools I look forward to using.

I've produced a few non-profit sites in ACS 3 and have stalled for the last year in upgrading them to 4&5, partly due to the learning cliff, although I've found that using OAKS uml (v0.3) has really helped in producing working skeleton pages.

I know we're a volunteer community and thus resource is variable, but I think we need to use more industry best practices here. For me we need a project manager to run a properly visible project to get a set of solid and maintainable packages. That project manager could be rotated as needed but must be enthuiastic and visible - (and pass the baton on when the need to continue to beat their head against a brick wall is fading!!)

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Matthew Dodwell,

Creating a project manager role, and giving it the title "Project Manager" does not address any of the issues directly. These create yet another distraction from problem solving and quality initiatives. One might even wonder if it is just a way to pass the responsibility to someone else. Why not just apply the principles of continual improvement directly?

make observations,

plan improvements (including how to verify it works),

implement the plan,

verify the results of the implementation,

make new observations