Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: First steps with .LRN

Collapse
2: Re: First steps with .LRN (response to 1)
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Richard,

dotLRN packages usually are made of 3 packages: the application, the portlet and the applet (dotlrn-? ones). A few packages, like dotlrn-syllabus, rely on existing applications (file-storage in the case of the syllabus) so only the applet is provided.

Regarding content delivery standard, you can install both imsld and scorm, they won't conflict but, yes, at the end you'll have to choose one depending on your needs.

Packages for IMS-LD: imsld, imsld-portlet and dotlrn-imsld
Packages for SCORM: lors, lorsm, lorsm-portlet and dotlrn-lorsm

Hope that will help some.

Collapse
3: Re: First steps with .LRN (response to 2)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Emmanuelle,

Yes, thank you very much, that helps a great deal. I will install them and see where that takes me.

I have also been studying LAMS which looks like a very nice UI to be able to use. I have found the documenation for integrating LAMS with .LRN so that you can use LAMS to create and sequence learning tasks as if LAMS were part of .LRN.

However, the LAMS docs also says that LAMS is itself a standalone e-learning system, so I am wondering what the overlap is?

For example, I can certainly see that if you are a large organisation and you already have a .LRN set up with all your content in it, you'd probably prefer to just bolt LAMS on with the integration module rather than have to begin again from scratch. But what if you are starting from scratch anyway? Does LAMS ultimately do everything .LRN can do and thus eventually replace it, or are the two complementary?

Regards
Richard

Collapse
4: Re: First steps with .LRN (response to 3)
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Richard,

I'm sorry but I have zero experience with LAMS, I can't help here.