Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: First steps with .LRN

Collapse
6: Re: First steps with .LRN (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
You should look at a simpler setup

1) OpenACS 5.7
2) Layout managed subsite/layout-manager
3) scorm-player, scorm-importer, scorm-simple-lms

New packages developed by Don that support more modern SCORM and in general is going to be simpler to deliver.

It depends really on what type of course you are working on and if there is existing scorm content etc.

I'd probably say the best bet is to use Moodle, unless you have some reason to use OpenACS or .LRN already.

Collapse
7: Re: First steps with .LRN (response to 6)
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Dave,

Ok, that's interesting advice. I can see that 1 & 2 above, are installed as part of a vanilla .LRN, so what you suggest would leave out all the other customisations. I'm not clear why that would be desirable?

Are Don's new packages available yet?

There is no existing SCORM content, new content will be created, so I want to choose the best/most effective route. I am setting this up to help a friend who is doing a masters course on e-learning.

My reasons for leaning towards OpenACS/.LRN are i) personal familiarity, ii) platform already in place, iii) loyalty.

Clearly I should re-visit these, but I'm looking to develop a deeper understanding of these tools as well, so I'd like to be able to learn for example why you would suggest Moodle over .LRN, or for a different application .LRN over Moodle.

I am also very interested in the usability of LAMS (even though it is Flash!) for sequencing, control and monitoring, and I want to understand when you would choose LAMS on its own rather than .LRN with LAMS integrated.

...and Claudio, thanks for the warning on SCORM!

Richard