Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: ajaxhelper and its tests

Collapse
Posted by Antonio Pisano on
In my opinion, current client side javascript environments are something too complex and hardboiling to be encapsulated in a package that would fit the needs of everybody.

Of course we could opt for including some of the less intrusive ones into specific UI features in OpenACS. I refer to "light" frameworks as JQuery or such.

However we choose, I fear this "marriage" could abruptly be broken on the next change of direction for web technologies, and would of course mean more work from the community to keep pace with framework development. A real example of this is Ajax Filestorage, build on ExtJS 2 if I recall correctly, and now quite useless, until someone finds time and will to rework it.

From a platform point of view I think we should focus on server side, either by producing plain text, markups/XML or JSON from data, as OpenACS is really good at it and leave fancy client side tecnology to the taste and needs of the single.

Antonio

Collapse
Posted by Benjamin Brink on
Indeed, Antonio.

I wonder. Why is a server-side web app development platform such as OpenACS including /resources/acs-subsite/core.js in acs-core the way it does?

core.js in the generic template has mobile usability issues[1]

It seems like a poor example of how to use js in a dynamic templating environment.

1. developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/BlockingJS

Collapse
Posted by Antonio Pisano on
Regarding the use of core.js, I think it won't be a big deal to move its inclusion so it complies with best practices.

Have you already pointed out where it happens in templates?

Collapse
Posted by Benjamin Brink on
core.js is referred to in www/blank-master.tcl

packages/openacs-default-theme/lib/plain-master.adp refers to blank-master

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Antonio,

If I can boil down what you're saying, it's that trying to be as general as possible isn't really possible, or at least it's the typical thing of generalities having diminishing returns.

Fair enough.

So then my (opinion eliciting) question to you becomes, do you think ajaxhelper should just go away? Or, what uses do you see it applied to?

-Jim

PS to anyone, could you post something about its original purpose?