Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Forums + more effects

Collapse
9: Re: Forums + more effects (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
A demo of forums with thumbnail portraits is now visible here:

http://www.solutiongrove.com/forums/

This is just to get an idea of the layout. The colors don't really match well, as we did this for another client and we haven't tuned it for SG's colors. Also the user name linked to the users' dotfolio page in our client implementation and we haven't set that up on SG yet either.

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Here is a sample of a forum designed to look like Tufte's

http://metrics.med.yale.edu/forum/forum-view?forum%5fid=801

This site is currently prelaunch in testing and you can post now. If you come back a month or a year from now this url may not work and/or it may be an active forum so then please don't post test messages.

For those of you curious about the rest of the site we'll do a case study after launch, please don't try to dig

Thanks

Collapse
14: Re: Forums + more effects (response to 9)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
In my opinion the work Caroline did on the latest version of forums on her homepage looks great. If she could commit this on HEAD and Viaro would add their collapse one/all button using Ajax, this would be awesome.

In my opinion, if committed to HEAD noone can complain we broke forum, as anyone enjoying the old design could still use the stuff on 5.2.

Furthermore, all my clients have complained heavily about the look and feel of forums, but I don't think it makes sense for SolutionGroove and cognovís to go ahead and just use a different forums package. Although, we could create "forum-new". But IMO the new design is better by an order of magnitude so we should not have to consider the option of retaining the old forums package in HEAD and keep two versions of forums in the branch.

As I heard from Caroline, switching the design back and forth is hard to write, so I can understand her (and my) reluctance not to do it, especially as we don't need the old design.

So, unless there is a huge outcry, I would propose she commits her stuff on HEAD.

As for the Viaro Ajax: It does not work correctly. The "open/close all" should open/close the current thread and it's children. At the moment it randomly (so it seems) closes and opens threads that come below it.