Forum OpenACS Development: The Image Upload Widget and Site Wide Image Sharing

Using the new image upload widget
https://openacs.org/xowiki/en/site_wide_image_upload_widget it is
possible to easily add an image within the content of any object that uses
the Xinha richtext editor.

The user who uploads the image may choose how the image is to be shared (outside of the context of the document itself: e.g. upload an image while creating a wiki page and allow it to appear in the site wide image browser). It can be public, shared with everyone is the subsite, or private. If the image is "private" means it does not inherit permissions from any other object. This means the only person who can see it is the owner, but if the image is uploaded within the context of another object, i.e. an Xowiki page, a link is created between the page and the image and if someone can view the page they will also be able to see the image (it does not make sense to have a sub-page level permissions).

Right now we make this work by creating a special URL /image/${image_id}/private/${xowiki_page_id}/${filename} This generates a unique URL that includes the "viewing context". When this URL is accessed the system is checked to make sure a data link exists, that is, that the image is used "in" the viewing context object, and that the viewing user has permission to see the viewing context object.

Does this sound insane? Does anyone have a better idea of how to implement this.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
The code for this is working, its in

acs-templating/www/scripts/xina/attach-file.tcl (attach-image.tcl)

and in

acs-subsite/www/file.vuh (image.vuh)

It generates a unique URL for a content/image combination and requires an application data link to exist between them, as well, the viewing user must have read on the content object.

I tried in vain to get this to work. Neither OacsFs nor OacsAttach show up on my installation if I added them to the templating parameters and to make matters worse, the internal link and the upload picture link are reduced to a file not found error.

Could you provide a quick installation instruction here for this (acs-templating on HEAD).

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hi Malte,

Did you look to see the file location that was not found?

I suspect acs-templating is not mounted in the site-map.
on HEAD acs-templating should be mounted at acs-templating, I added a directory under acs-templating/www/scripts to store the tcl files for the plugins.