Forum OpenACS Development: Re: AOLserver Update

Collapse
5: Re: AOLserver Update (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
While I was flattered to be nominated, I think I haven't really proven myself in AOLserver (C) development to be in the Core Team. Peter Jansson nominated me because he believes someone from OpenACS should be in the core team. While I think that would be good, and I don't think it is essential. Scott (for one) has been sympathetic to the project, and is a good leader, and as such will listen.

I exchanged e-mail with Dan about his nomination yesterday and he said something important: the ACT needs to be formed of competent people _with time_ to work on it. So he's not going to run either.

One thing that I brought up during that chat was the ad13 patches, especifically i18n. Nathan said they will commit to putting those patches (which I'm trying to generate to send to Nathan) in for the next release of AOLserver. That would be great because we could stop distributing our own AOLserver version.

Collapse
6: Re: AOLserver Update (response to 5)
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
I got a slightly different impression.  I think the discussion on the agenda for next week is to determine whether the Arsdigita patches should be rolled into 3.6 and/or 4.0.  I think getting the patches into both is likely but not certain - they seem eager to get 3.6 out.  Of course, it will be more likely if you've done the patches and shown that it works!

I've done some comparisons between AOLserver 3.5.1 and AOLserver 3.3.1 + ad13 + oacs1.  The doc is incomplete, particulary regarding i18n, but hopefully useful.  I started from Rob's AD13 distribution notes.  http://www.panoptic.com/wiki/aolserver/92.html

Collapse
7: Re: AOLserver Update (response to 6)
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
"I've done some comparisons between AOLserver 3.5.1 and AOLserver 3.3.1 + ad13 + oacs1.  The doc is incomplete, particulary regarding i18n, but hopefully useful.  I started from Rob's AD13 distribution notes. "

Jamie, I suggest that you take a look at Pierre's i18n patches (available at SF) since they were made for 3.4 -- that will at least save you some time rather than starting from 3.3.1+ad13. Still, if you want to start from 3.3.1+ad13 it might be good to contact him. Just for the record, I'm using Pierre's patches under 3.4 and they seem to work fine.

Collapse
8: Re: AOLserver Update (response to 7)
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
I've looked at Pierre's patches briefly - they only cover the i18n modifications, but are certainly a good starting point for that issue.  (SF Patch #570072)  Thanks for the pointer!  I'll add this to the Wiki doc.

ad13 had a number of non-i18n related bugfixes and added features as well.  I'm hoping we can move any of these that are necessary over to the main AOLserver tree as well.  I don't want to leave any excuses for people not to upgrade. 😊