Forum OpenACS Development: Upgrading from 4.6.1 to 4.6.2

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
I'm trying to wrap up everything for 4.6.2 so we can commit it, and I'm getting closer, but there's still one nagging problem:

There has been significant changes to the APM from 4.6.1 to 4.6.2, most notably all the Tcl callback proc stuff, where you can ask the APM to call certain Tcl procs in your package when your package is installed, a new instance created, mounted, uninstalled, etc.

The problem is that since the change is to the APM, and since it's spread out over 4 packages (acs-kernel, acs-tcl, acs-admin, and acs-bootstrap-installer), we really have to run the DB upgrade script outside of the APM, then upgrade the Tcl sources for those 4 packages, then restart the server.

Any suggestions for how we handle this? I haven't looked into this in detail yet, but I wanted to pose the question so we can talk about it before I get around to doing it.

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I think documentation is about all you can do, isn't it?  Maybe the APM can check to see if the datamodel changes have been installed and put up a doc page that tells you what to do if they've not been installed???