Forum OpenACS Q&A: chat port

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
can anybody provide me with the source code of ACS chat 4.6 for oracle code, so I can port it to postgres?

Thanks
Ben

Collapse
2: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by Rodrigo Proença on
I am working on port and internationalization the chat module, where i can upload to you?
Collapse
3: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
That's great news, also for some of the folks I met in Heidelberg, who have been looking for this. Maybe this is a ood source to comit. https://openacs.org/storage/?folder_id=70462

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
4: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Ben

The first DRAFT are stored in the file storage

TIPS before install:

put the path in .bash_profile for the user who start the service and and nsd-postgres
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin

compile the java server to your enviroment ../packages/chat/java/javac *.java

.bash_profile and nsd-postgres
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin

Rodrigo

Collapse
5: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Ben,

I put the last version of ported chat module to download

Rodrigo

Collapse
6: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Rodrigo,

Thank's for sharing

Ben

Collapse
7: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi Rodrigo, hi Ben,

is it the file Chat module 0.1;
Has someone of you tested it on OpenACS 5.0?

Beside Java Runtime do I need anything else - like a Jabber server or so to get the chat working?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
8: Re: chat port (response to 7)
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Nima,

Yesterday I tested chat module ported by Rodrigo on OpenACS5.1.
It works fine with this openacs instalation  and I didn't need anything else beside jre to have it work.

Thanks Rodrigo!

Orzenil

Collapse
9: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Hi Orzenil, did you test the jabber package aswell?
Collapse
10: Re: chat port (response to 9)
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Nima, I didn't test jabber package at all because there isn't a complete port to postgresql yet (as far I know). I contacted Malte Sussdorf at last february and he told me about Bjorn Kiesbye work on this issue. According Bjorn (at february 2004):
What have I done till now:
  • -ported the nsjabber module to work with postgres. (still needs to be tested).
  • -ported great parts of the jabber core package this includes (the data model jabber-create.sql , and most of the page-postgresql.xql files (still needs to be tested)).
What needs to bee done:
  • - port of jabber-notification-create.sql , jabber-notification-forum-create.sql.
Unhappyly I didn't not have enough time to go Bjorn work into deep but I still pretend to do this. I had nsjabber intalled but I didn't test data model provided by Bjorn yet. If you want I'll send to you the files or maybe I could try contact Bjorn directly .
Collapse
11: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Hi Orzenil,

I just got the chat package running. It's awesome. I was just wondering if the html version does an auto-refresh at all. I logged in twice and sent messages form one user to the other but couldn't see the messages on the other side.

The java version works well.

Greetings,
nima

Collapse
12: Re: chat port (response to 11)
Posted by Cristian Lapa on
Hi Nima!

www.cgecon.mre.gov.br (run by Rodrigo, Felipe, myself and others) has an auto-refresh version of acs 3.3 html chat, but it's too heavy on our database. We'll stick to the java-based version by now for our e-learning tool.

Collapse
13: Re: chat port (response to 1)
The module documentation says:

"Why the HTML version can't autorefresh The HTML page cannot have a Refresh header to force a redraw of the page; if it did, the user would be at risk of losing what he or she was typing into the post form."

In the classic ACS version we uses frames to solve this problem, one for the form tags and other to display messages

Collapse
14: Re: chat port (response to 1)
true
Collapse
15: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by Felipe Gelbcke Gubert on
New version upgraded by Rodrigo Proença is in the file storage
Collapse
16: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
The old 3.2.5 chat used javascript that auto refreshed. Although it lacked a few other features, that worked fine. Why not replace html with javascript? That would create an auto refresh, and the benefits of java for those users that arn't botherd with the download of Java runtime and associated software in a corporate environment could still play with the benefits Java offers. Java is a pain for people on dial up and not using fast machines anyway.  (thank god I am on cable😉

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
Followed the directions above relating to the postgresql install of the Chat package. Executing the following yields positive results on the command line, but a "Server not found" error in the java application. All command run as service1 (openacs) user. Any ideas?
$ java -classpath=[root]/packages/chat/java start 8300

$ Sun Dec 18 08:55:09 EST 2005 - Chat server listens on port 8300

$ Sun Dec 18 08:57:59 EST 2005 - Connection from Socket[addr=192.168.0.2/192.168.0.2,port=32785,localport=8300]

Sun Dec 18 08:57:59 EST 2005 - Connection from Socket[addr=192.168.0.2/192.168.0.2,port=32786,localport=8300]

In broadcast: message>status>approved/status>body> deixou a sala./body>message>

In broadcast: message>status>approved/status>body> deixou a sala./body>message>

Sun Dec 18 08:58:00 EST 2005 - Connection from Socket[addr=192.168.0.2/192.168.0.2,port=32787,localport=8300]

Sun Dec 18 08:58:00 EST 2005 - Connection from Socket[addr=192.168.0.2/192.168.0.2,port=32788,localport=8300]

User name: AOL_WRITER, moderator = true
User name: AOL_READER, moderator = true
Collapse
18: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Posted by vivian Aguilar on
Be sure to have the correct parameters on the chat package
ServerHost www.yourserver.com
port 8300

Be sure that the port is not blocked.
you can try to run the java sever on 8080 too.

Collapse
Port setting is correct and the port is not blocked. What's with the username AOL_READER and AOL_WRITER?
Collapse
20: Re: chat port (response to 1)
1.You have to be sure that the port is open if you have a firewall
2. You can verify if the server responds with a telnet connection
$telnet host 8300
3. Run first the chat server then the aolserver

cheers

Collapse
21: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Collapse
22: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Should AOL_READER be changed to the AOLServer user, service1?
Collapse
23: java client fails (response to 1)
The chat server starts on 8200, and I can telnet to the port. When I enter the room, the java client fails with this error:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
	at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
	at adChatApplet.init(adChatApplet.java:85)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "thread applet-adChatApplet.class" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks,

It's now about 3 years after I posted my initial message. We have 3 or 4 different chat packages in CVS, but the core distribution still does not have a functional chat service that will install from the start. Who's got an idea how to solve this? I am now using a shoutbox pasted into ETP.

I can't help getting a feeling this problem has been solved a few times, but never commited to the core. It worked in OACS 3.25, so what's the problem? Surely Jabber is only for uebergeeks sofar and in any case overkill for simple communication, so relating Jabber to Openacs chat seems no longer an issue. Chat is simple speak, Jabber is an al-inn communication sollution.

In order to solve this I suggest we check with the community what workarounds have been created, but never commited. I remember a few posts from universities looking into the issue. The tips & Hints blog can be used for that.

Alternatively, we dump the chat module!! .... and concentrate on getting Jabber working form a default install.

In a broader perspective, since it's likely many folks will be using IM services, enhancing /pvt home with clickable links to public systems like Gtalk, AIM, MSN, YAHOO and Skype, connected to "who's on-line" might be an alternative route.

If users indicate a prefered communication channel in their profile related to "I am online". It's not ideal, but better than a broken jabber and a broken chat package.
It would save time in coding, documenting and make it easier for newbies to connect to OpenACS!

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
25: Re: chat port (response to 1)
Ben: I agree with your point about the jabber package. It is overkill for a basic chat package. I feel I'm so close with the latest chat posted by vivian. There's just a minor Java error on the Applet (adChatApplet.java:85) which I can't track down (see above). I don't have much experience with java, so any help would be appreciated!