Filtered by category HOME, 1 - 8 of 8 Postings (all
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Michael Feurstein 28 Oct 2016, at 09:22 AM
Tutorials for OpenACS development
Other related tutorials
See also: OpenACS Mentorship Program
Other useful resources
Created by Dave Bauer, last modified by Gustaf Neumann 20 Oct 2016, at 08:38 AM
OpenACS (Open Architecture Community System) is a toolkit for building scalable, community-oriented web applications. OpenACS is the foundation for many products and websites, including the .LRN e-learning platform. OpenACS is open source and is available under the GNU General Public License.
Why use OpenACS?
OpenACS is unique in the breadth of services it offers developers and administrators. Millions of dollars and decades of developer time have gone into the maturation of OpenACS.
You can read the technical reasons to use OpenACS.
How do I install OpenACS?
The installation documentation contains all the necessary steps to install OpenACS on a large variety of systems. There is also a Windows Installer and other packaged installations openacs-system-install. Also Check the installation requirements before installing. The current stable release is OpenACS 5.9.0 (cvs aliases).
How do I work with OpenACS?
You can start by reading the documentation, specifically tips on customizing, the developer's tutorial, and
the FAQs. There is a OpenACS Wiki and a list of packages that extend OpenACS.
For professional help, contact one of the OpenACS companies.
One of the strengths of the OpenACS project is the community surrounding it:
We are proud to announce the release of OpenACS 5.9.0.
This release contains many security and performance improvements as well as new
The new release differs from OpenACS 5.8.1 in the following points:
- PostgreSQL enhancements and cleanups to improve performance
and maintainability of the basic data model
- Greatly improved HTML validity and protection against XSS attacks.
- Improved theming support to create responsive interfaces.
- Various new functionalities to ease debugging and to improve performance.
Altogether, OpenACS 5.9.0 differs from OpenACS 5.8.1
in more than 100,000 modifications contributed
by 4 committers. All packages of the release were tested with PostgreSQL 9.4.* and Tcl 8.5.*.
Many thanks to all who helped in this effort via direct
contributions, bug-reports or testing!
Published on Dec 01, 2015
Published on Sep 27, 2009
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Gustaf Neumann 22 Dec 2015, at 10:01 AM
OpenACS for developers
Besides the quality components of Openacs (See: en:openacs-system), OpenACS has these enterprise-quality features for developers:
- high-performance XML data processing with easy, powerful Tcl scripting functionality using en:tdom (as of OpenACS version 5.0)
- XOTcl object-oriented scripting, which combines the ideas of scripting and object-orientation in a way that preserves the benefits of both (as of OpenACS verison 5.3)
- Automated testing (see: en:Testing_with_Selenium and en:testing-with-tclwebtest)
- Flexible and easy caching, for improving the performance of your websites. http://openacs.org/doc/tutorial-caching.html
- programming in Tcl with AOLserver - A lightweight, simple, extremely fast scripting language that features a clean, easy-to-understand API (Application Programming Interface) for generating websites from the database. (See: http://openacs.org/doc/programming-with-aolserver.html )
- pooled DB connections (which reduces database connection startup and teardown time), much like the technique JDBC uses, but predating it by many years. (See: http://www.aolserver.com/docs/admin/dbadmin.html#2 )
- Component package system for easy installation and upgrading of packages (See: http://openacs.org/doc/apm-design.html
- Upgrade paths for code and database schemas (See: http://openacs.org/doc/tutorial-upgrade-scripts.html )
- Full internationalization, including an excellent workflow for translating content into new languages. (See: http://openacs.org/doc/i18n.html )
- Fully functional content repository and content management system. (See: http://openacs.org/doc/cms/cms-intro.html )
- An elegant templating system that separates code from presentation of content. (See: http://openacs.org/doc/templates.html )
- An object system that resides on top of the database, permitting site developers to create complex applications using an object API. Examples include an object level permissions system, audit trails, and ability to relate one object to another. (See: http://openacs.org/doc/object-system-requirements.html )
- OpenACS is released as open source under the GPL license, with millions of lines of open-sourced applications available to use as examples. There are also pre-written packages for you to use or adapt.
will be pulling in docs from here: http://openacs.org/doc/acs-package-dev.html and http://openacs.org/doc/acs-plat-dev.html
Integrated Development Environments (IDE)
These text editors are commonly used when coding on OpenACS:
Bibliography and Credits
Created by gustaf neumann, last modified by Gustaf Neumann 05 Oct 2015, at 09:03 PM
Welcome to the OpenACS Wiki!
This is the OpenACS Wiki system, built with the xowiki package. This wiki contains user documentation, how-tos, and tips and tricks related to OpenACS. It also serves as a collaboration area for OpenACS contributors.
OpenACS Handbook: openacs-handbook
OpenACS Packages: packages
OpenACS Installation: openacs-system-install
Recent Wiki Page Edits:
F. A. Q.
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Benjamin Brink 09 Sep 2013, at 07:44 PM
OpenACS for everyone
OpenACS (Open Architecture Community System) is:
- an advanced toolkit for building scalable, community-oriented web applications.
- a robust, scalable framework (see: en:openacs-system) for building dynamic content driven sites and enterprise-level web applications.
- a collection of pre-built applications and services that you can build on to create a custom web-site or application.
- derived from the ArsDigita Community System (ACS). ArsDigita (now part of Red Hat, Inc.) kindly made their work available under the GPL, making all of this possible.
Through a modular architecture, OpenACS has packages for user/groups management, content management, e-commerce, news, FAQs, calendar, forums, bug tracking, wiki (XoWiki ), full-text searching etc. See OpenACS repository.
Use the OpenACS fourms to contact the OpenACS community. We welcome your feedback and can help with your OpenACS endeavors. Commercial support is also available.
What others say about OpenACS
Testimonials posted to forums on OpenACS
History of OpenACS
See: History of OpenACS en:docs-history
Bibliography and Credits
See: Documentation Credits en:doc-credits
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Torben Brosten 22 Aug 2008, at 08:29 AM
OpenACS for administrators
will be pulling in docs from here: http://openacs.org/doc/acs-admin.html
Getting help: en:docs-admin-help
Install OpenACS: en:docs-install
set up database environment variables.. see end of http://openacs.org/doc/openacs.html
http://openacs.org/doc/backup-recovery.html and http://openacs.org/doc/snapshot-backup.html
creating custom pages: see developer tutorials ( http://openacs.org/doc/tutorial.html )
Administrating a system
Also, these OpenACS packages are your friends:
Bibliography and Credits
Created by Caroline Meeks, last modified by Caroline Meeks 23 Feb 2007, at 02:35 AM
This Google Coop Search includes sites about OpenACS and the many products based on it.
Created by OpenACS community, last modified by Torben Brosten 22 Jan 2007, at 06:19 AM
Documentation Credits doc-credits
Documentation Project Documentation_Project