A Graphical Installer for OpenACS & dotLRN
This was announced by Vlassis Rizopoulos some time ago, but can be useful for windows users.
Currently only the windows binary is available and it can be found here [~46MB]
InstallAnywhere Now! 5.5 can be found here [registration required prior to download]
All the project files can now be found here
The config scripts:
The config scripts are the very essence of the installer. They are a list of commands executed in order to install OpenACS / dotLRN and the associated software to make it run. You can view these scripts to have an idea on what is happening "behind the scenes" during the installation process.
Windows config file
Linux config file (not yet)
MacOS config file (not soon)
Before proceeding I recommend against using a production machine to test it, as things may go wrong since this software is in very early stages. If you don't have a testing machine to spare, you can evaluate the software by using VMWare to create a guest operating system which will cause no trouble to your current installation. VMWare is not free, but you can always use it only for 30 days for free without obligation.
After you have sorted out which machine, or virtual machine you are going to use, you can download the software from the link above and execute the following steps:
- Execute the install.exe file that you have downloaded from the above link
- Proceed with all the options that will install the installer (ironic huh?)
- If you wish you may review the installation script by viewing the file C:\Program Files\OpenACS and dotLRN Installer\config\windows.cfg (recommended)
- After you have finished with the second step, execute the OpenACS & dotLRN installer which now can be found in your programs start menu.
- Go through the options carefully and if possible avoid the use of spaces in the installation path as it creates various problems in some scenarios
- Be patient during the installation and do not abort, it may take up to 5 minutes.
- After you are done, reboot your computer
- After reboot point your browser to http://localhost:80/ [or the equivelant in your case (eg. alternative port, etc)]
- Proceed with the OpenACS / dotLRN configuration
- Stop the AOLServer using the shortcut located at your start menu, programs, openacs and dotlrn installer
- Start the AOLServer using the shortcut located at your start menu, programs, openacs and dotlrn installer
- Point your browser again to http://localhost:80/ [or the equivelant in your case (eg. alternative port, etc)]
- If everything looks normal, enjoy, if not send me an email at xfman@_nospam_ncs.gr (remove the _nospam_ part)
Contributed by Rafael Calvo