Forum OpenACS Development: Re: XoTCL interface for Objects (aka. extending methods for objects)

I totally agree with you Dave. And I know that Gustaf still has some ideas on how to improve xotcl-core over the summer, so I would not suggest making it core until he wants to.

With regards to documentation, I am going to train someone on using XoTCL with OpenACS, based on the experiences of I had lately with it (including turning packages without acs-objects into XoTCL CrItems (which makes sense in the context, the original developer was very old school).

Additionally I will look at other code I have been developing, especiallly project manager, and clean up the code by introducing CrItem dependend classes. A howto will be generated out of this experience as well.

Still, what we should do is write down which methods we want to have executeable by default on objects. I am fairly certain we can mimick a lot from the content::item and content::revision procedures combined with the CrItem class to come up with

a) The functionality provided by the methods
b) The name of the methods to be self explanatory

One thing which bothers me a lot with ::Generic:: is the lack of documentation with some core methods, so I will try to improve that whenever I see it. I just hope my documentation will be correct, but in case it is not, Gustaf will hopefully be ready to correct it (and me for that matter).

Last but not least, do not change the datamodel when adding the functionality.