Forum OpenACS Development: Re: OpenACS 4.6.2 on Debian installation question

Collapse
Posted by Naveen Agnihotri on
There is no apache process running, and AOLserver is indeed able to bind to port 80, as shown by the error log (although I don't know what a return value of 15 from the binder means). I've tried port 8000 also, with the same result. So it is AOLserver that is returning the empty page. I strongly suspect that the empty page is coming from somewhere within OpenACS, because when I searched for the string that is in the header of the source of the empty page, it produced lots of matches in the OpenACS tree. Of course, some other process could be using the identical header string, but it is unlikely that it would be able to respond to a request to port 80.

Also, I was initially using Postgres 7.3.2, and have now tried 7.2.3 (had to recompile AOLserver), but with the same result.

When I try to connect to the server from the command line by telnetting to port 80, I don't get the usual (empty) prompt, where the server waits for me to enter a GET request. Instead, the server throws me an error right away:

$ telnet 18.42.2.64 80
Trying 18.42.2.64...
Connected to 18.42.2.64.
Escape character is '^]'.
HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 17:58:55 GMT
Server: AOLserver/3.3.1+ad13
Content-Length: 541
Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Invalid Request</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<H2>Invalid Request</H2>
The HTTP request presented by your browser is invalid.<P>
Invalid HTTP request
<P ALIGN=RIGHT><SMALL><I>AOLserver/3.3.1+ad13 on http://someaddr.mit.edu</I></SMALL></P>

<BODY><HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.

Don't know if this helps.

Thanks!