Forum OpenACS Development: Re: .LRN: Allowing multiple admin portal pages

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Dave,

This quote from "Usability Evaluation of an Open Source Learning Management Platform, Jaime Sánchez & Miguel Elías, Department of Computer Science, University of Chile, Chile" (usability evaluation of .LRN) might help:

"A relevant issue detected in this evaluation is the inability of managing the information in the place and time at which the user access to it. It is uncomfortable having to access the control panel whenever a user wanted to modify something that is presented in another tab (for instance, inside of a course), because it disrupts the natural navigation expected by users and it is not intuitive."

We should be building the administration features into the portlet itself. I mentioned to you offline that we could even introduce a "admin" button that (like the i18n package) exposes administration features where they are needed (to prevent the admin view of .LRN from getting cluttered). E.g. if you want to admin a learning module, turn on the admin view and click the admin button right next to the learning module (the last time I looked this was the method employed by Moodle with a little "eyeball" button -- we can do better than an eyeball). Another simpler option would be to have an admin button in the top of the portlet.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Using my last example (an admin button per portlet): the conglomerated portlet admin page you suggest could be linked from the button at the top of the portlet.