Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Chat package HEAD branch

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
At today's .LRN leadership team meeting we made the following decision:

1. Avni Khatri will revert chat on the oacs-5-3 branch to the oacs-5-2 version, which works. When we merge to HEAD, it will be with the reverted version, so HEAD will also be oacs-5-2 at that point.

2. Before doing so, Avni will tag the existing code so these changes can be retrieved and fixed if someone has time to do so.

3. If someone wants to fix that broken code, they will need to discuss their plans BEFORE doing it and recommitting fixes. Malte's list is quite thorough, and points out many problems with the code that are unacceptable. We're not going to accept new chat code with problems like this.

Collapse
Posted by Pablo Muñoz on
I have a question I would like to ask you. I am finishing with the dotlrn dependency of my chat version, but, in the process of sending files, I have a problem.
When a user send a file within a room, the file is uploaded to the public files of the community which the room belongs to. If the room does not belong to any community, the file is uploaded to the public files of the user.
The current chat version uses file-storage with dotlrn installed, and there is a “public community files” folder, and also a “public user files” folder in the file-storage package. If the chat cannot have dotlrn dependency, could have only file-storage dependency??. The process of send a file would be more complicated. I think it would be necessary to create in the file-storage the folder for the public files, and so on. Would be any problem of have file-storage dependency??

Malte, you told me something about the language, but I do not know what you exactly mean. I have been reading the catalog of the chat, and did not found Spanish keys. You mean names of variables, or what do you mean?
Another point you asked me is why I used a folder and the acs_objects table. I explained at the beginning that in order to upload the files I used the public files of the communities or the users. I did not found another way of getting these folders, and used the acs_objects table, if you know another way, please tell me and will use it.

The chat-portlet catalog is now not used in the chat package, I have changed it, and will try to correct the naming conventions.

The RSS problems are completely truth, it is important to improve it.

Regards.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Pablo, first of all thanks for taking on that work. I did not know that the company is not behind the efforts anymore, so thanks for letting me know.

As for your questions:

You should attach the files to the room. You do not need file storage for this, just use a small page that allows you to view all files attached to a room. There exist a couple of these throughout the toolkit, DaveB can point you probably to the best example.
If .LRN is installed, you might copy the files over to the public folder of the community, so on the page where you can see all files attached to the room (cr_item parent_id = room_id) you should have a button "copy" to "select box of all folders in the .LRN communities file-storage". This way you can make files send in chat available in any folder of the community manually and do not have the problem of figuring out what the public folder is.

Language: A lot of language keys in English have been missing. My assumption was that you developed the package in Spanish, which would explain the missing language keys. Otherwise just make sure that you export all language keys before committing.

Hope that helps

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Pablo -

Thank you for all the new features you are adding to chat.
I know a lot of the groups that use OpenACS/.LRN can utilize these features.

Your current commits, however, are causing a lot of errors/problems. We are attempting to get a release out in early-mid July and a lot of these same groups depend on the chat being completely functional.

As Don mentioned - I am going to revert your changes thus far on
the 5-3 branch back to 5-2. These changes will then be merged into HEAD after the release so we have a functioning chat in the distribution.

I am going to do the reverting Saturday (6/30) afternoon PDT.

I don't want to lose all the work you've done so far though. When I revert, I will make a note that I am reverting, so we can introduce your changes with fixes at a later date. I will help you re-commit your changes if you have time to work with me. We will have to work with the OCT and the .LRN leadership team to make sure each feature/change and code-set is approved before we re-commit though.

Since we are reverting, hang tight on committing any more changes right now. Contact me directly via email at avni321 at yahoo dot com. Thanks for your patience.

Avni

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Pablo and everyone -

I am still working on reverting the chat changes. Planning to finish tonight.
Ran into some CVS issues which Emmanuelle helped me resolve.

Thanks,
Avni